Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
The best reward you can give a dog for recalling off socializing with another dog is to allow them to return to socializing.

With this in mind, I'd try to arrange meetups with dogs you KNOW she's okay with, probably in a safely fenced area at first (yard, empty dog park, etc.) and just hang out there, rewarding her for any kind of check-in with you first with food/attention/play/whatever she responds best to, then releasing her to go back to playing. This teaches a dog that play with another dog is not an extremely rare - and thus extremely valuable - resource, and that recall doesn't end fun time with another dog most of the time. In fact, a recall means you'll be told to go back and play more!

Going on group walks with other dogs that she interacts nicely with can also help desensitize her to the idea that interacting with another dog is a rare and exciting event, and is instead a routine occurrence, so when she's called off of a strange dog it's more of a "oh, well I can play another time" instead of treating it like a kid seeing a real live unicorn.

Of course, depending on what her mixed history is, you may need to be more cautious about this and keep her on a long line until you see her recall and attention on you around other dogs improving. I'm not sure if you mean she can just be rude and overbearing, as some young dogs are, or if she actively picks fights, or if she's nervous and a target for other dogs to bully if they're inclined that way.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Yeah, I only use Thunderdome-style dog parks as training yards when no one else is there, lol. They can be useful for that if you don't have a big fenced yard, but you have to figure out when they're usually quiet first.

You can also try reaching out to any local-ish dog clubs, even if they're a distance away. People into dog sports and training are often willing to travel to get to a good club, so the clubs may have some members in your area even if they're not literally in your town.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.