Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...two months ago I had Maisy trained with hand signals. Didn't even have to say a word. We were having some problems with her wanting to play when it was bedtime, so I got her a special bedtime blanket and she learned when her blankie was on the bed that it was time to calm down. She sat calmly for meals.

Fast forward. She barely listens when I say sit, stay, down, etc, so forget about hand signals. She throws the blanket off the bed and nudges, bumps, and wants to play when I'm trying to sleep. She still sits for her food, but barely, and she jumps around a lot.

Our schedule hasn't changed. No one came into or left her (or my) life. No new food, really no new anything. The only thing I can think is that when the weather changed we took shorter walks, but it's not like she's deprived of being outside or anything. Could this all be from shaving 10 or 15 minutes total off of three daily walks? We play extra inside to compensate. She's two..do dogs have teenage years?

Help please. We were doing so well and I wanted her to take the therapy dog test soon.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes, they do have teenage years.
Some dogs are more prone to it...

10-15 minutes is quite alot of time for a dog to be cut off it's daily walk.
My pup also obeyed hand signales (still does, but not like he used to) and after his poisoning (days we didn't train) he wouldn't obey anymore, he only obeys the ''down'' hand signal.

I believe what happened is that you stoped using hand signals for some time??
Even with teeny years, a dog who is constantly trained won't rebel against it's owner.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if I worded right. We take a long morning walk, a long after work walk, and a quick nighttime bathroom trip. Each of the long walks are probably 5ish minutes shorter now that it's cold, so about 10 minutes a day. She's still out for at least 45 minutes in the morning and an hour after work. Her nighttime trips are the same 10-15 minutes they've always been. Just wanted to make it clear :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Could be teenage moments, sure, but I'm not exactly sure *when* they srike. I've heard varying things.

Is the weather colder? I'd assume so since you said you're walking less. For some reason many of the dogs (and horses, for that matter) I've known are more frisky in the cold weather. They seem to like it better than we humans. :D

My Marge has been having some rebel moments lately, but to me all that means is that I need to start implementing a stronger NILIF program, keeping her exercised mentally, and also working her physically.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts