Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my dog used to have a gorgeous liver brown coat, until about 5 months ago when it all of the sudden started turning a straw colour and growing longer. Now it's all ugly and feels like straw and you can see his liver colour on his legs and in patchy areas but it's a horrible colour...what has happened to his previous gorgeous coat :(?

We switched feeds almost 10 months ago, still the same maker just a different type of food...

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had a dog once whose normally smooth fur started feeling kind of coarse. It was because I used human shampoo on him.

Maybe his skin is drying out? sounds like a medical symptom to me.........

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
He's a very neurotic dog, highly anxious, poorly bred, it's like he has no off switch, I can run him for 6 miles in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, as well as 3 agility courses a week and he won't stop moving, I have to physically lock him up in a crate for him to relax slightly. For about 6 months he's had a limp that comes on and off, I took him to the vet about 4 months ago for it and he did an exam and x ray and couldn't find anything and put it down to soft tissue damage. Yesterday he was really sick and laid around all day then had a bout of diarrhea and was better, i took him to the vet this morning and he said it was just a tummy upset and he was fine. My mum has said for years that she doesn't think he's a well dog and she thinks he won't live to be an old dog. Today he's limping on his hind leg also, but he's always hurting himself because he does crazy things like smash into walls and trees. as of the last 4 weeks he's started this weird manic habit of licking the cement around the house. He gets walked at least 4 miles a day (if his leg is ok that day),andd lots of mind exercises as well. Lately he's just been getting obedience and duck herding (no runnign or walking at all) as his limp is getting worse. I mentioned it to the vet and he said it could be juvenile arthritis because of they way he is... ugh

oh he gets washed in dog shampoo from the vet, as well as home made goat's milk soap, he's had the same stuff since he was a pup.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
He could have digestive problems that means he's not getting the nutrients he needs for a healthy coat. I find fish oil to be great for a shiny healthy coat AND it is good for joints and general health. Its easy and cheap to toss a human brand fish oil caplet into kibble or squeeze the oil from a gel caplet over the food.

Glucosamine chondroitin is an often recommended supplement for joint health, I've seen it do good work in both horses and people.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've actually considered putting him on them, the vet did a full blood work not long ago and couldn't find anything....I'm so tired

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would take him in to the vet for a full blood work up. My dog Max was just didn't seem right to me. Nothing that you could really put your finger on but you just know your dog and when something is wrong. it turned out to be lymphoma.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might have to go to another last time I did that with him, i felt the sting in my pocket for months...I will though. I love the mentally deranged dog so much

1 - 12 of 12 Posts