Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try cleaning my dogs teeth with raw meaty bones, I had just bought a package of chicken wings and was in the process of cutting them in two (my dog is only 18 lbs). I planned to feed them with my hands so they didnt scarf the whole thing but when I turned my back our hound mix callie (85 lbs) had eaten one half and Pete had eaten another. I think they chewed a little but not a lot... I'm really worried about Pete, that seems like a very large thing to be mostly whole in his belly. He seems fine (it only happened a minute ago) but will it create a blockage? Will his stomach break it down enough? Should I go right to the vet or wait and watch closely and head over for any signs of trouble? Not how I planned my first raw eating session to go!!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
He should be fine. He could probably eat a whole wing without problem and it might encourage him to chew more if it was a larger piece. Most dogs only chew enough to get the meat down the hatch.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yeah, shouldn't be an issue. Sydney doesn't chew chicken wings that well either. Don't worry, dogs are carnivores and therefore made for breaking down soft bones like chicken wings. :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Okay... phew. He's sleeping on the couch now so I dont think hes in any discomfort/pain. I'll watch him and see how it goes. Never a dull moment with two dogs in the house!

Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't sweat it. Dogs only chew things to break them into swallowable size, so if he swallowed it then there is no issue to worry about. Relax.

For that reason, chicken wings will not clean teeth. They are just a good raw treat. I do not advocate using raw bones unless you are there to supervise. As soon as they have cleaned off all the tendons, meat and cartiledge, take them away and chuck them. If they start splintering the bone, they stand a chance of chipping teeth and swallowing sharp pieces.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Don't sweat it. Dogs only chew things to break them into swallowable size, so if he swallowed it then there is no issue to worry about. Relax.

For that reason, chicken wings will not clean teeth. They are just a good raw treat. I do not advocate using raw bones unless you are there to supervise. As soon as they have cleaned off all the tendons, meat and cartiledge, take them away and chuck them. If they start splintering the bone, they stand a chance of chipping teeth and swallowing sharp pieces.
Don't throw the bone away, it is good for them to chew and swallow. Raw bone will not splinter or hurt them, my 3.5 pound yorkie has no issue eating chicken, turkey, pork ribs, venison ribs, and other small bones. It is hard bones like marrow bones and weight-bearing bones of large animals that one should worry about. Wings will clean teeth depending on size of dog, but always supervise when feeding your dog, raw or not. Dogs can choke on kibble too and sometimes even inhale them because they require little to no chewing, getting pieces stuck in the lung in worst case scenarios.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Absolutely no problem. It will digest in his belly. Since it was a whole un-chomped bone it's possible you may see tiny pieces of bone fragments in his poo but it's not a big deal. Lesson learned I hope, bigger is better! Don't feed down because he's little, give him the whole thing to chomp on. And *never* turn your back! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts