Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
jesirose - i don't think that's the point. The fact that you can train your dog to notice the phone when it's ringing it's a huge accomplishment in itself.
Well sure, but it doesn't solve the actual problem of finding a lost phone, IMO.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you trained the dog to find the phone when it rings wouldn't the dog always go looking for the phone everytime it rings? If the dog is very reward driven it probably go running through the house trying to get to the phone then looking at you for a treat.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
If you trained the dog to find the phone when it rings wouldn't the dog always go looking for the phone everytime it rings? If the dog is very reward driven it probably go running through the house trying to get to the phone then looking at you for a treat.
Heh, probably. But then you can put a cue to it.

Once the ringing gets him eager to find the phone - have him wait for the cue to go ahead and find it.

Something like he hears the ring -> wants to get the phone and looks to you for "permission" -> gets cue -> finds phone -> does whatever when he finds phone -> gets rewarded.

Not sure if it would work, but it worked for me and getting my dog to not just chase at whim as well as for some other of his behaviors.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts