Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lose my phone at least on a bi-weekly basis. Today I lost it in my house somewhere. I tried calling it, but I turned it off yesterday so it's probably off. Once I locate it again, I really want to train Zero to find it for me. He's a sharp guy and it would help me out immensely. I never lose my wallet, never lose my watch, rarely lose my keys, but lose my cell all the freaking time. Where do I start with teaching him to find my phone? Also, does anyone have a dog who is trained to find phones who can find mine this time?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Would probably be easier to train yourself to put the phone in a bowl when you come in the house. I trained myself to hang up the keys when I walk in.

Otherwise, attach a packet of yummy dog treats to the phone.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Maybe this should be the Trick for the Month of June. May's Tricks

I would think it could be very doable. Especially if you usually lose your phone in several places. Have you looked in the couch cushions?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would probably be easier to train yourself to put the phone in a bowl when you come in the house. I trained myself to hang up the keys when I walk in.

Otherwise, attach a packet of yummy dog treats to the phone.
I do have a shelf I always put it in. I walk in the door and drop my cell, wallet, keys, etc.... on this shelf. The problem is I sometimes use the cell from home and then I put it who knows where. I'm an old dog. You can't teach me new tricks. Zero on the other hand is young and eager to please.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Put the phone on the ground. Wait for the dog to touch it. Once he does click and treat. Move the phone further and further away. Put a verbal command on it, like "phone". Eventually move it to another room, start hiding it etc..

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Put the phone on the ground. Wait for the dog to touch it. Once he does click and treat. Move the phone further and further away. Put a verbal command on it, like "phone". Eventually move it to another room, start hiding it etc..
Yeah it's possible, just don't blame teh dog when it's got slobber and teeth marks lol.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can train the dog to only touch it with his nose.
This is probably what I'll do. I can follow him around the house. Hopefully more successfully than the time my sister thought her 2 yr old had hidden her keys and followed the kid around hoping to find them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It is very doable. My DH trained Libby to find his keys. We're working on more complex locations. She isn't allowed to get up on the desks, tables, or counters, though, so DH still has to look there :p

It was actually very easy. He shaped her to pick them up with the clicker, and then named the behaviour when she had that down. Then, he started placing the keys in different locations on the floor and giving the cue. Now we're simply putting the keys in more difficult locations so she actually has to search.

Funny thing is, she doesn't like to take the metal in her teeth so she only picks them up by the car's fob!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For some reason I rarely lose my keys. I don't think I've ever lost my wallet or my sunglasses. I lose my comb about once every other month and have to replace it as I never do find the old one and I lose my cell on a regular basis. I don't know why.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Two of my dogs (Standard Poodles) find, and bring me the phone, the remote, my keys, my purse - and, really, whatever I ask for that they know by name, or that I point to.

I started w/Maddy, teaching her (at 5-6 months) the Search & Find game (she was already great at retrieving her toys and bringing them to me, then dropping them in my hand). She was easy to teach, and figured out what I wanted by just showing her 3 times. I had her sit in the living room, placed the item I was going to hide from her under her nose to get the scent, said "FIND," then told her "wait," while I went into the kitchen, and placed the item in plain sight on the counter by the sink. I returned to the room she was in, clapped my hands and said "FIND!"

Of course she had no idea what I was talking about, so I coaxed her to follow me into the kitchen, asked her to watch me, and used my finger to visually draw her attention to the item on the counter. When she walked in the right direction, I started pointing to the item, and saying "GET IT!" Then "BRING IT!" Then clapped and hooted and praised her YAY MADDY! GO MADDY! Well, you get the drift. She LOVES this game to this day, and there isn't anywhere you can hide something that she can't find it!

So, it wasn't much of a stretch to teach her to bring me the phone, etc. I put my keys in a dish on a table by the door. I told Maddy to GET IT, then BRING IT, and threw a party, tossing her stuffy toy over and over. I eventually added the name (keys), so when I'd tell her to bring me the keys, she'd race to the table, and take them out've the dish and bring them to me. One night I was leaving for work, but, no keys. Ended up calling work to say I couldn't get there from here, lol, but, that I would keep looking. Although I didn't expect her to actually find them, I asked Maddy to find my keys. Sure enough, she went right to the dish, sniffed, and sort've walked around air scenting in addition to nose to the floor. I just gave up and was on the phone with my co-worker saying I wouldn't be able to make it when there came Maddy - keys in her mouth and prancing proud! WOW. I was pretty amazed and impressed, let me tell you! I can never find the dang remote, and frequently missplace my phone, so, Maddy comes in handy! LOL Beau learned just by observing Maddy, and, not wanting to be outdone (or left out) started competing with her to find and bring what I'd ask for! They bring towels from the linen closet, a pillow or quilt from my bed, my slippers, and many other items they know by name (along with whatever I point to). I used to have Maddy bring me drinks from the 'fridge, but had to remove the rope pull because Beau was raiding the cheese and meat tray (stinker)! When the phone rings, they race to get it - really funny when my cell is inside my purse! They will sometimes bring the entire purse.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
teach your dog to nose target the phone every time it rings.

teach the nose target

ring the ringer and give the target command at the same time. keep reapeating this a whole lot in different rooms in the house.

periodically test it by just ringing the ringer.

when the dog makes the connection and targets without the verbal cue, give them a jackpot reward and repeat this exercise in different rooms in the house.

then when you lose your phone, ask someone, a neighbor or something to call it.

the first time I taught this I ran into a slight drawback..she would target it EVERYtime it rang..

so I had to modify it by ((once the behavior was consistent)) only rewarding for target it when it starts out not in plain sight.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts

teach the nose target

ring the ringer and give the target command at the same time. keep reapeating this a whole lot in different rooms in the house.

when the dog makes the connection and targets without the verbal cue, give them a jackpot reward and repeat this exercise in different rooms in the house.

I'm so doing this with Wally.

And while I'm at it, I'm going to teach him to bark at sounds like the oven beeping or the kettle going off, by switching the cue and sound (hopefully it'll work - seems like the same method)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts

the first time I taught this I ran into a slight drawback..she would target it EVERYtime it rang..
If it's ringing and the dog can hear it, why can't you? I know they have better hearing but the phone isn't a tone that we can't hear to begin with.

How would you train the dog to find the phone without the help of a neighbor, or when the phone is dead? That's when I can't find mine, when the battery runs down.

Usually it's in the same spot though, so it's not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

teach the nose target

so I had to modify it by ((once the behavior was consistent)) only rewarding for target it when it starts out not in plain sight.
I think that's a good idea - at least to get you started

If it's ringing and the dog can hear it, why can't you?
jesirose - i don't think that's the point. The fact that you can train your dog to notice the phone when it's ringing it's a huge accomplishment in itself.

Usually it's in the same spot though, so it's not a big deal for me.
and that is why you are not asking how to train your dog to find your phone :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts