Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'd like to clear up something. This is quite possibly a serious problem, but because of many reasons I cannot (and will not be able to, no matter how much I'm pressured) get help from a vet, or any other animal care professional. If I could, I would be there right now... not on a forum.

Right now, I just really need to know what's wrong with my puppy. I need to know what it is, how bad it is, and if it's bad enough that I have to give him to someone that can get him to a vet. Any of this information will be very helpful, and to anyone that helps with this information, I'm infinitely grateful, and always will be.

Now that that's been said, I should probably get to explaining what's wrong.

I have a puppy that I bought about a month ago, we think he's about five or six months old. He's a pit bull/husky mix, he's very playful and energetic, and even after just being punished it doesn't seem to phase him. We've never had a more happy go lucky dog. Some hours ago wasn't much different, either.
It was already nighttime, so he was settling down a bit. We took him out for the last time, and of course outside time is play time for him, so he was running around and having fun in puddles. He did his business in the grass, and came back inside, and nothing seemed wrong. Maybe twenty-fourty minutes later, he starts whining and yelping as he walks just a foot, before he finally sits down and stops moving, but he continues to whine and seems to be distressed. We thought it was because he needed to go outside (we've been having trouble showing him how to get our attention so we can take him out, so we thought he may have just tried a dramatic solution) but taking him out didn't help. He tried to pee, but he was all empty.
We brought him back inside and tried to examine him, touching on his sides and back and legs gently waiting for a reaction, but nothing. Finally when we try to roll him on his side to check his belly, he starts yelping again. It happened every time we tried to roll him, and every time he tried to stand, walk, sit up, or shift position (after laying down). No heaving, no limping, nothing seemed wrong, it was just when he moved around he yelped, he hardly even looked like he was in pain.
I was immediately online, looking up what it could be, but I rarely find what I'm looking for when searching pet health problems. While I was online my older sister kept an eye on him, and comforted him as best she could. His belly apparently started to get bigger during this period. When I finally got around to checking him out (hours later) it looked like he had a sack, or a pouch around where his ribs and stomach meet. It wasn't big, but noticeable.
While typing this, he's been cuddling me, and even got up once and turned around, and not a peep, but I'm still worried. It sounded like he was screaming earlier, and the sound alone almost brought me to tears.

My step dad thinks it's just bad gas (crossing my fingers and hoping he'll just pass a huge smelly fart soon) but somehow I'm not convinced... I looked up a few things about 'bloat', and got a few suggestions from friends that he may have eaten something, but my sister thinks him eating something is unlikely, since we're constantly watching him inside and outside.
I'm really worried, really scared for him. Like I said, I really need to know what's wrong, how bad it could be. I'm willing to answer any questions, but I can't guarantee a quick response - now that he seems to be better my little sister (who owns this computer) will want her computer back once I post, but we will be refreshing and checking frequently.

Please, I'm begging for help right now =(

In case anything happens to the post or thread, like being locked, e-mail me: [email protected]

Thank you so much in advance to anyone that posts something helpful!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you can't afford or circumstances prevent you from taking your dog to the vet - then it's time to find him a new home. Think long and hard next time before bringing an animal into your life; an animal that is counting on you to take proper care of him/her.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The dog needs a vet. If you can't afford one, find him a home/rescue/shelter where he can be given vet care. Do not get another pet until you can provide vet care. Let your dad know that failure to provide vet care constitutes animal neglect which is criminal in every state and can be prosecuted.

·
Super Moderator
7,277 Posts
Your dog needs to see a vet immediately. If you cannot or will not provide that, you need to re-home him with someone who will.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Echoing every one else. We're not vets for one and even if we were how would we diagnose via the internet? And if someone correctly guesses and it is incredibly serious, then what happens if you don't plan on taking him to the vet?

Please rehome the dog. Depending on where you're located I may be able to find a rescue willing to take him.

·
Super Moderator
11,476 Posts
Please read the forum description:

Dog Forums: Dog Health Questions
Caring for your dog's health and well-being aren't always that easy. While our members may have good advice, it is just advice. Please use this section as a resource to discuss "diagnosed" conditions and treatment options for your dog.
*Important - All serious concerns with your dog's health and well-being should be handled by a Veterinarian, so please refrain from asking questions that are best suited for their office.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.