Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uallis has two nails that have what I think are really long quicks. When I touch the end of the nail, it feels like there is a hole in the the middle of the nail, like the nail is hollow. I assume that is the quick. When I took him in to have his nails cut last time, I noticed when I got home that it looked like they didn't touch those nails at all and I assume it is because the quick is just really long in those 2 nails. I don't want to cut the nail anyway because I don't want him to become afraid of nail clippings in the future and refuse to let people do it.

So what can I do about those nails? I don't just want to let it go because I imagine that it is uncomfortable. Those 2 nails do touch the floor when he stands and walks and they are really long. I don't like the appearance of it either. But mainly I'm concerned that it could damage his foot and just in general bother him.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you feel a hole in the middle of the nail, then they probably are just hollow nails.. It happens from time to time. Usually in those the quick is pretty far back. I know some groomers that wont touch those nails, because they can have a tendency to be brittle and split easily. I say just use a dremmel to slowly take the nail down.

DO NOT leave the dremmel against the nail for more than a couple seconds. It gets hot fast and it will shoot straight up the nail into the pad. Doesn't feel good for the dog..

Or take him into the groomer just for nails and ask for them to do those nails in front of you. They can clip a little at a time to see where the quicks are.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It could be hollow nails, but it could also be the quick. I have cut many dog's nails at work and many that sound like Uallis' have really long quicks.

I usually file them a little with a good nail file (or with a dremmel). I also tell the owner to walk the dog on cement or a hard surface to wear them down...most people do this at some point anyway so I don't really know how much that works.

You certainly could ask the groomer to cut them back, but like you said, I'd be worried he'd start hating nail clipping if they quicked him...I think a nail file works pretty well though...Bridgette has one that I won't clip.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I have a dremmel...however, I've barely used it because I need bigger bands for it and haven't got around to getting them yet. Uallis will let me touch him with it though. I was thinking even with the smaller band, maybe it will start to file it down a little bit here and there? I don't know. I have regular nail files as well that I could try. I really need to get those nails shorter. It has to be uncomfortable for him.

The biggest thing is that I don't want him quicked because I really am concerned that if he is, in the future he won't let someone touch his feet if that happens. If he won't let someone touch his feet, then there won't be much anyone will be able to do about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts