Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need to rant for a minute.

Friends just let my dog out the front door of our apartment suite (into the hall) after we told them to wait a moment while we got the dog secured. They opened the door and told the dog to "go free" so of course he went running down the hallway, doing zoomies up and down the hall. Normally, not a huge deal because he has good recall generally but of course our neighbours were just coming in. So he goes running up to them and they jump and scream a little, being startled by the dog running towards them. This gets the dog excited and he starts barking at them but more in a playful way. He was hopping back and forth and barking his "come play with me" bark but of course the neighbours don't know that.

Just frustrated with friends and concerned our neighbours will now be upset or even report us. He is registered with the building but dogs aren't allowed loose in the hallways and they aren't allowed to cause any disturbance to neighbours. *Sigh*

·
Registered
740 Posts
That would make me upset too. I would keep your dog on leash with u or crate him when they come incase that happens again. Basically, don't let him free when they're around.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had a long talk with the friends after that. None of them own dogs and don't really understand them. I will definitely not let the dog anywhere near the door when the friends are getting ready to leave. I should have just put him in a down stay but I didn't think they would open the door for him and tell him to go.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Wow, that's incredibly disrespectful and rude of your friends, not to mention dangerous for your dog. I wouldn't invite someone like that to my house anymore if they refuse to respect the rules of my house.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it happens again I will definitely think twice about inviting them over. They all agreed afterwards that it was stupid and immature and said they wouldn't do it again so hopefully that is the end of it. I wish I was thinking straighter in the moment but it all happened so fast I barely had time to react.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I think I would take some sort of token over to the neighbors and apoligize and explain what happened. Something like cookies or beer. I would try to repair the damage on that end.

And I respect how you feel about your friends, but no one who did that to one of my dogs would ever be over again. That would be a friendship ender for me, but I'm old and too tired for Bulls#$t.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely be apologizing and explaining to the neighbors, if you haven't already. And friends like that, don't know how old all of you are, but even at 24, if my friends were to do that..."Go free!" I'd near about slap them for being jack###es. That is indeed incredibly immature and stupid. It's that simple statement in it that makes it irritating to me. Totally different situation if they'd simply opened the door and let the dog out, intentionally still, despite you telling them to hold on, not thinking, but obviously they thought it'd be FUNNY to do so.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I think I would take some sort of token over to the neighbors and apoligize and explain what happened. Something like cookies or beer. I would try to repair the damage on that end.

And I respect how you feel about your friends, but no one who did that to one of my dogs would ever be over again. That would be a friendship ender for me, but I'm old and too tired for Bulls#$t.
I agree, a token would be a good idea if you think any of them are really irritated. I've got a similar problem, but the problem is actually our landlord! Its his opinion that dogs are supposed to be out running around and roaming off leash. He has been told NUMEROUS times that we don't allow that and the reasons for it (his dog doesn't like her, there is junk all over the property that we don't want her to get into, the highway is close enough for her to get to etc). One day he came over about something, plumbing or something, just stood in the door for a second to let us know. What does he do when Caeda comes up to him MOVES OUT OF THE WAY! He thought it was hilarious watching us run around and try to grab her and watch her get pinned by his dog (when her recall wasn't so good). He's almost 80! Old enough to know better and maybe respect our wishes. Now if we see him coming we crate her right away, he does always knock thankfully so there's always at least a second of warning.

Some people eh? I hope the neighbours are appropriately appeased and that your friends are better about things in the future!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We apologized to the neighbours but there is a language barrier there so we couldn't really explain the situation. Luckily it was the neighbours who have interacted with our dog before so I hope they realize he wasn't really being aggressive just having fun in the hallway. They just seemed startled more than anything. I didn't see the whole thing but apparently they were teasing the dog a little bit, like chasing him up the hall so it seems they were playing with him a bit too.

What do you give to an elderly Asian couple? Maybe some baked goods or tea?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts