Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is looking for a canine running buddy.

This dog needs to keep up with competitive running speeds... think 4 miles in 20 minutes, every other day. The dog would be conditioned, of course, but what breeds would fit the bill? I know a lot of high-energy breeds but I don't know if they would be high-energy enough.

Northern breeds aren't an option; they're too hard to maintain in this climate.

Obviously other factors will have to be considered but since this is his primary concern I'd like to start here and then narrow it down.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'd pick a Vizsla, Aussie, Border Collie, Belgian Malinois, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Lab, Doberman...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Many medium to large breed dogs could easily be conditioned to that. Obviously avoid dogs that can't breath well or move well, like an english bull dog. But most working breeds, gun dogs, any thing that isn't extreme.

There is a rottie that comes to work that runs 8-10 miles a day with her owner, who runs marrathons. My boss' malinois and dogo both run daily 4-5 miles. Even her little boston terrier runs a couple of miles a day.

All of my dogs run alongside my bike 4-5 miles most days.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Dutch Shepherd, Belgian Shepherd, German Shepherd, American Pit Bull Terrier, Cane Corso, Kangal, possibly a sighthound type of dog. There are others too, these are just a few.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The Cane Corsos I've known wouldn't be up to that (I've only known a few). The Dals, on the othe rhand, would ADORE a routine like that.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Dogstar good point, but I think obvious you'd have to pick a dog of the breed that is good for it. There are plenty of APBT which could not easily do this, if at all. You don't get an oversized, bulky Cane Corso that has less breathing ability and don't keep it overweight. I believe that since some have attained their AD (ran in good time) it is certainly possible, this also done in the heat and were ran/worked prior to going for it without issue.

A central asian shepherd or maybe Australian Cattle Dog.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The Cane Corsos I've known wouldn't be up to that (I've only known a few). The Dals, on the othe rhand, would ADORE a routine like that.
The corso that comes to work would be able to do that if conditioned for it. She isn't as heavy set as some are, she is probably to much on the lanky side. One that used to come but no longer does probably wouldn't be able to, not at that speed anyway.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Maybe a greyhound, doberman, weimaraner, vizsla or APBT (not one of the extreme "bully" types that some breeders promote).
Something with short hair. Some of the double coated breeds that others have suggested (like the shepherd suggestions) wouldn't thrive being so active in that heat.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
This dog needs to keep up with competitive running speeds... think 4 miles in 20 minutes, every other day.
That's a pretty darned good pace for a human, but there are scads of dog who could do that easily. I think even a Jack Russell Terrier (the long-legged variety) would have little difficulty keeping up. A single coated breed would be best considering the climate. The English Pointer is the go-to dog for hunting in the SE US. It's still pretty darned warm and humid during the hunting season, in the subtropical climate of the southern states. An EP could do 4 x 5 min. miles running backwards.

A Rat Terrier would be a good choice, as well. Similar to the JRT, but the larger varieties have some hound (usually beagle) mixed in, and frequently some Whippet. Running they can do. They also tend to be a bit easier to co-exist with than true terriers. Hunting breeds and terriers frequently get into trouble with poisonous snakes. Small terriers could be a meal for a constrictor. Precautions would be advisable.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Not a greyhound. They are sprinters/couch potatoes. :)

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Look up some of the herding breeds or even a terrier. They're very highly energetic. I once owned a corgi/terrier mix who could've handled that routine and wouldn't even blink. That dog would've come home bored and dug up your yard for your.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think a visla would be a great fit. Most people can't give them what they need, but I think your friend could. They're beautiful dogs, IMHO.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
That's a pretty darned good pace for a human, but there are scads of dog who could do that easily.
I believe the point is suggesting breeds who, as a norm, are not only *able* to do it physically, but who would really love it.

For instance my Kim can run/sprint/jog alternate for 10 miles straight easily...but running along a path on leash like that for 4 miles? Forget it. She can do it physically (as evidenced by her still having 20-minute zoomie sessions after running alongside my rollerblades, agility, etc.), but she just gets bored out of her mind and loses interest. It's not enjoyable to her after the first two-three miles when the "edge" has been taken off.

As a note I didn't see mentioned -- no matter what breed of dog your friend gets, he should either be prepared to wait until the dog grows up or get an adult right off the bat. I know you probably already know that, just thought it should be mentioned :)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I believe the point is suggesting breeds who, as a norm, are not only *able* to do it physically, but who would really love it.
That was the rationale for suggesting some smaller breeds. My Golden would love it, but 5 miles would merely be a warmup for the main event. I doubt any of the double-coated breeds would tolerate sustained activity in that climate, though. During extremely hot weather, my dog will only go outside in the early am and in the evening after the off shore breezes pick up. He'd have to really need to go, or he'd have to be dragged out the door.

A Ridgeback would tolerate the heat better, but 5 miles wouldn't scuff the finish.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts