Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lab/chihuahua/min pin mix (there's probably some other stuff mixed in there too) who is very reactive towards other dogs. He's 3 and I've had him for 2 years. He's been incredibly reactive since I've gotten him. The kinds of reactivity are mixed: towards some dogs it's pure aggression, towards others it's play, and with some it's insecurity. All manifest themselves through lunging, barking, and screaming.

The only thing he'll pay more attention to than other dogs is food, but sometimes it's difficult to spot the dog when he does and catch his attention on time. It's also not enjoyable to have my fingers repeatedly nipped at by a barely contained dog. I'm a completely broke college student so affording a trainer is out of the question. I've tried every training method I can find, from cookie pushing to alpha dog. I've tried walking him in a regular harness, halti harness, choke chain, martingale, and prong collar. Currently we use a prong collar with a dominant dog collar because if he doesn't wear it he lunges extremely hard and jumps into the air, jerking his neck at a frightening angle.

Is there any other method I can try? Walks are miserable for both of us, and after two years I'm pretty sick of this. Most owners in my neighborhood are not friendly, are completely clueless about dogs and their behavior, and do not have well behaved dogs, so finding someone to help is pretty impossible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts