Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, eww.

Secondly, I want to figure out how to stop Ozzie from expressing his anal glands all over the wall. For those of you who don't know, this is Ozzie:

Ozzie is reactive. His reactivity is composed largely of fear with a pinch of excitement thrown in for good measure.

The obvious solution is to keep him under threshold but that is much, much(MUCH) easier said than done. I'm sure that he has expressed his glands out and about and I was none the wiser. The problem is that he's doing it in the house when he gets a time out from the backyard.

His stool is generally firm so I thought that would take care of the glands. So I'm at a loss for what to do just short of putting a diaper on him.

Should I add canned pumpkin into his food more often? Right now, the dogs get it as a treat every couple of weeks. Should I try adding it every two days or so?

Advice?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Since no one else has jumped in, let me be the first to say I dunno :)
1. I also grew up believing that large dogs didn't need to have their anal glands expressed.
2. My 60 lb dog used to scoot around after every poop (Lab mix).
3. He has minor allergies, and I just started giving him claritin under Vet advice (inexpensive Costco generic).
4. He hasn't scooted recently.... I used to get the Vet to express his anal glands a few times a year.

Does your dog have allergies - any sneezing, any non-flea scratching, wet nose -almost dripping ...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No allergies. He's on a great diet to boot.

I'm pretty sure that he'd have to be sedated to have his glands expressed by a vet without being completely traumatized. And he's been doing it on his own about once a week, sometimes more. That seems like a lot to me. Is it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts