Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog, Chisum, is reactive to just about everything novel. He has come a long way since his reactivity started (at 8 weeks old) but we're still very much a work in progress.

I'm working on some things outside with him, but I'm not sure what to do about his indoor behaviors. He can't see out of my house as I've put window frosting on all of the windows - this was necessary as my street is pretty active and there are a lot of triggers out there. This helped the barking somewhat.

Now, he'll hear things and he'll just start barking. Sometimes I'll hear them, sometimes I won't. I'm not entirely sure how to best handle this behavior. I've been trying to cue him to go "settle" - which is go lay on his mat, and then I reward him for doing that. My goal was that when he hears something he finds concerning, he goes to his mat and is rewarded there. He will happily go to the mat on command; sometimes he'll be done with the barking and other times he'll bark some more so we will rinse and repeat until he stops.

Is this a good way to go about this, or do I need to incorporate some sort of interrupter (like "enough") before I send him to his mat for treats?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I usually give my dogs a warning by saying "that's enough". Then if they continue barking they are sent to their beds.

You might try playing some music quietly in the background or leaving the TV on so he can't hear every little noise out on the street.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I do often have noise going, but he has a bad habit of going into my room where it's quieter and barking in there. Or he'll think he hears something at the door and bark at that. Or, more recently, he's started paying attention to reflections on the ceiling that signal cars are driving by and he'll bark because of that.

I did have a suggestion to start up the relaxation protocol again; we've done it in the past but never made it all the way through. I'll have to try and give that a go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts