Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am wondering if anyone has a dog with allergies and gives them benadryl...I am curious on the side effects I should be looking for. My dog Memphis is 54 lbs and the vet told me to give him 2 tablets every 12 hours. I gave him his first dose of 2 tablet today and he was stoned, glassy eyed and in a daze. At one point he fell asleep sitting up with a tennis ball in his mouth. well, he slept and then woke up and peed in the house (he's potty trained and does not pee in the house) could this be cuz he was groggy? Should I be maybe cutting back to 1 tablet every 12 hours? according to some websites he's on the threshold of 1 or 2 tablets/12hrs...I'm very overprotective so I don't know if I'm blowing this out of proportion.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do not think you are overreacting, I know if I took 2 benadryls I would be loopy. I would recommend a smaller dose maybe even try 1/2 tab to start with. You should let the Vet know about your dogs reaction and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'd cut back to one 25mg tablet and see how that goes. Zoey is 23 pounds and gets one in the morning, it sometimes makes her a LITTLE sleepy, but never pee in the house sleepy. You can also use Claritin, but I don't know what the dosage for that is.. but it wouldn't make him sleepy. You'd have to call the vet to find out the dosage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies...He's back to normal in terms of running around and being a puppy (8 months) but he peed in the house 3 times while loopy...I know when he was put under for x rays he came home all groggy and peed in the house too...One good note to this is his pink irritated skin on his paws and his biting/licking of his paws have went away so at least I know it's an allergy he's suffering from, just maybe have to get the dosage right...the vets out til Monday so maybe I'll cut back to 1 or half and see how that goes...thanks again...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 12lbs bichon takes half a pill 2-3 times a day (usually only 2xs). My vet said that some dogs may act groggy/loopy (thats how I react...) and if Toby acted that way, to cut back on the dosage. So far he has been perfectly normal and his allergies have improved immensely!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts