Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is on his second round of antibiotics (first round was in Jan). I'm trying to research food for him. He isn't picky with his dry food (currently on natural balance) but he's been really picky with his wet food-which I know is more important then his dry food. I've tried Blue, Wellness, 4-health. I keep hitting dead ends with his wet food. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't have a cat anymore but remember the vet put my cat on a prescription wet diet to curb the UTI and crystal formation.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That I'm not sure. He seemed just fine, then about 2 weeks ago he started acting like he had another uti. I took him in and they did the ultrasound and she showed me the lining of his bladder was inflamed. They tested his urine, and she said there wasn't a lot of bacteria, so we probably caught the uti in it's early stage.

I know wet food is really important to their diet, but I've struggled with finding one he likes. We've had him for just over a year now. I've tried a handful of different brands, tried different textures, added water, gave it to him warm, gave it to him cold, and sometimes he eats it, sometimes he doesn't. We bought one of those water fountain things that he really likes. I'm just not sure what else to try.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have one cat that is fed nothing but canned food (had a blockage a few years ago), and I've found that the cheap stuff seems to be more appealing to him than the expensive stuff. I buy Friskies by the case now.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have one that has had several UTIs and 2 blockages over the years. He is also an extremely picky eater. He is so dramatic about food that he will sniff at it and then gag! He won't touch prescription canned food I've tried. I think it's been about two years now on his current feed plan with no issues. I'm giving Wysong uretic dry and a can of Purina pro plan urinary health a day. I know all canned would be best but he is hard to keep weight on since he doesn't eat well so I have the dry available throughout the day. For awhile the only canned food he would eat was friskies but we couldn't get the UTIs under control and my vet recommended changing. Vet also believed his issues were a stress thing and to try and keep him in a quiet area and regular routine. He now spends most of his time alone on the enclosed porch where it is quiet and he seems happiest and although he likes to play with the dogs I've started rotating his house time with them.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I have one cat that is fed nothing but canned food (had a blockage a few years ago), and I've found that the cheap stuff seems to be more appealing to him than the expensive stuff. I buy Friskies by the case now.
I have no qualms about buying Friskies or Fancy Feast either. Cheap wet food is apparently better than expensive dry food anyway. (I do tend to stay away from PetSmart's store brands, however - neither Authority nor Grreat Choice agreed with my cat).

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Cats Concentrate their urine. They are desert animals and do not have a good mechanism to signal drinking because they have evolved to get most of their water from the game they eat.

Cats that have UTI's and Struvite Crystals as a result should be fed canned food MEALS and add water to the food. You can feed dry food MEALS (do NOT free feed and leave food out all of the time!!) but you need to add water. Adding water and making "kitty stew" helps GREATLY in preventing UTI's and struvite crystals.

It is also very important to keep the cat a bit lean.

Last, but not least, cat box needs to be kept clean. I clean them 2X a day (clumping litter).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts