Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: my puppy.... I "think" I owe some of you some thank yous... but not 100% sure yet

I had a thread where I mentioned that nobody in my family liked our new puppy. Many replied along the lines of "Hang in there, work hard, and you will have a good dog."

So, really fast, backstory.... I have ALWAYS been able to quickly train a dog, whether it be a puppy or an adult dog. Until this puppy, a dog was like modeling clay to me. But this puppy threw me a wicked curve.... and to some degree is still throwing them.... but I am definitely making progress, albeit slow progress.

She is quite a lovebug - when she wants to be. She is never mean or nasty. She is just the absolute most stubborn dog I have ever owned, by a huge amount. I am now convinced that for a dog, she is very smart. Maybe smarter than all but my BC from years ago. ( And she may actually be part BC ). She is about 5 months old.

OK, so status update:

Housebreaking.... getting much better in the last week. Has had 3 "accidents".... compared to 15 or more the week prior. Though I think she purposely had one of those "accidents".

Barking.... Thank God the pitch of her bark is getting deeper. She barks too much still.... and it can just about make my head explode when it is the high pitched bark. But what really bothers me is that she barks in a very demanding way.... If she wants something she barks to the point where it actually feels like a demand.

Fast Eating.... Has been slowed by feeding her from a treat ball only.

Basic Commands... sits easily.... usually will lay down when told... but frequently she will look at me and walk away when I tell her to lay down. I am trying a NILF approach to training. She walks on leash like a champ... no pulling at all.

But what really is getting better - tho far from perfect - is that she doesn't get the 9PM zoomies nearly as much anymore. In fact, rarely.

I know... most of you will say, "Well, you have a puppy, what did you expect?" Well, a puppy who has behaved like all the puppies or dogs I ever had before. Unless you have seen it, you would not believe how easily I have always been able to train dogs..... and therein lies my problem.... My family has always expected well behaved dogs within 2 weeks of getting them... and they have ALWAYS gotten their wish before. I flat out was shocked to not have a well behaved puppy after 2 weeks.

So what I really need to work on is getting her NOT to ignore me when she doesn't want to play along. I need to ease her food OBSESSION ( not aggressiveness ). And I need to get her to bark less.

However, tonight was kind of cool. It was dark, and someone was jogging in the cul - de -sac, and she became a watch dog! She barked angrily while looking out the front door. She has never barked in any kind of angry way before. It caught us off guard.

Anyway, she still needs a whole lot of training... but slowly we are getting there. One thing she really doesn't really respond to is getting petted as a reward, or a positive sounding voice. ONLY food is making the training better.

So, in closing, she is much better now than when I started that thread. Still, a very long way to go. But we'll get there.... as long as she doesn't kill me along the way. This last week has been so much better than previous weeks. I can only pray it keeps going in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Re: my puppy.... I "think" I owe some of you some thank yous... but not 100% sure yet

Sounds like things are coming along nicely. Good work! Can we get a pic update, too?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts

I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up for you guys!
But at the same time I sincerely hope that your previous concerns of "everyone disliking this puppy" did not stem from the very simple (and realistic, for many other not-as-fortunate owners out there :D) fact that you couldn't train this dog in two weeks?

·
Registered
427 Posts

Good Job! If you condition your voice with treats, (just like you would do with a clicker, "YES, good girl" is always followed by a treat for a while) she'll learn to listen to your voice more too. ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up for you guys!
But at the same time I sincerely hope that your previous concerns of "everyone disliking this puppy" did not stem from the very simple (and realistic, for many other not-as-fortunate owners out there :D) fact that you couldn't train this dog in two weeks?
Well, 2.5 months of basically no improvements at all. And then in the last week thing have started to improve pretty well. Except the part where she totally ignores me. THAT is hard to take.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts

I am glad to hear things are going well. The potty accidents sound like a major improvement! :) I also have a pup that barks like she is demanding whatever it is until she gets her way. I did the great training schedule given to me and started clicker training but I have found that if I just turn my back on her and give no eye contact she realizes she is NOT getting her own way. :) It works 90% of the time. Still working on it. Luckily she sounds like a 100 pound male with a deep bark so my ears don't ring! Lol! :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am glad to hear things are going well. The potty accidents sound like a major improvement! :) I also have a pup that barks like she is demanding whatever it is until she gets her way. I did the great training schedule given to me and started clicker training but I have found that if I just turn my back on her and give no eye contact she realizes she is NOT getting her own way. :) It works 90% of the time. Still working on it. Luckily she sounds like a 100 pound male with a deep bark so my ears don't ring! Lol! :)
Is this something specific?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts

Is this something specific?
I was given a wonderful training schedule on here by a fellow DF member. It is in the training forum section under "How concerned should I be?". I was having issues with Abbylynn who liked to growl, fly, and knock me down. It made her realize that all good things come from me. She is a different dog than what she first was when I adopted her. She is a good dog now. She still has a few quirks. But don't we all?

I am not sure how to post so you can go directly to the thread.....sorry. :)

·
Registered
731 Posts

Glad things are looking up! She can become a great dog.

I wanted to quit on Gweeb because he seemed like a hopeless case in training but he was terrorizing the house. I was not a fan of being bitten everytime I tried to be near Jezzy and had food aggression and marking issues. He's also super stubborn and has these weird mental breakdowns where he just starts having a tantrum and screams when you tell him no, he was climbing on visitors, he would try to slip out the door/gate behind people, he couldn't be trusted not to knock over toddlers, he was eating things he shouldn't, destroying things. He was listening better by himself so I thought he must need to be an only dog. 18 months down the road of me kicking and screaming, we have a decent dog out of a "unadoptable" type dog. He's doing as he's told, he loves on Jezzy the right way, he doesn't do the tantrum thing anymore, no marking, no biting me, no food aggression and bone guarding is to a minimum, does way better with manners with guests and children. He still has far on leash training, but otherwise we are doing fantastic here. I love this dog now but it took some time to get here. He's becoming more rewarding than all my dogs who came with minor issues and highly biddable natures. In some ways he's starting to surpass Jezzy in obedience!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts