Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: Kennel Cough

I have a question regarding kennel cough. I have someone in the neighbourhood that walks his dog offleash all the time, and visits my neighbour when they go for a walk, and the other day he came by but only stopped for a minute, and my dog went near them, and as she came to his dog, he decides to tell us his dog is sick, and has kennel cough. Today a few days later, my dog won't eat, and has vomitted twice.....is that a kennel cough symptom, and wondering if perhaps she ended up getting it? I told him today when he came by that if his dog is sick, that his dog should be leashed, so that other dogs don't get sick. Should I assumed that my dog got what his dog has? Any advice?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Re: Kennel Cough

Kennel cough is very contagious - so it's quite possible that your dog picked it up through contact with your neighbor and his pet.

It's also treatable though, so I'd advise a quick trip to the vet. It would be better to know now so that the problem can be dealt with rather then waiting and possibly spreading the illness further.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I adopted my newest dog from a shelter. I took her to the vet the day after I adopted her because she was coughing and making a hacking sound at the end of the cough. The vet told me she had kennel cough.

Lucky me, all 3 of my other dogs developed kennel cough. None of them had any vomiting and they all maintained a very healthy appetite and stayed very active the whole time they had it.

Good news is, if it's kennel cough it's very easily treated and not a big deal.

I'm not sure if what your dog has is kennel cough, but if it is don't worry it's very easy to treat. The main symptom of kennel cough is coughing followed by a hacking/gagging sound. The dog's nose can also be a bit drippy (but clear- if it's green or yellow snot then it can be more serious).

Good luck, and I hope it's just kennel cough and not something more serious (it'll be a cheap and short treatment!).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I though that I would let everyone know that it wasn't kennel cough. Took her to the vet and it was just an upset stomach, as the day before i have her a lambchop bone, with little meat around it, and it upset her stomach. She's back at eating ok, and hasn't vomitted today at all so we are in the safe zone ;) I will stay away from that dog though because I don't want my dog to get this. Also, yesterday I saw the neighbour with his dog walking him offleash when he's sick?????? Now is that sick? I told him he should be on a leash, was I wrong?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts

Good for you getting your dog into the vet right away - so much better to be safe than sorry. Glad it wasn't kennel cough & that her tummy's feeling better now.
And as far as I'm concerned you were absolutely right to be concerned & tell that guy to keep his dog leashed in the neighborhood - whether sick or not.
I'm glad this topic was posted, as I know very little about kennel cough & symptoms.

·
Registered
43 Posts

My dog has an upper respiratory infection that I suspect is kennel cough. I was walking my dog on my condo's common grounds so he could do his 'business' when, on two separate occasions, a total of four unleashed dogs ran across the street to say hi to him. I tried to leave, but the dogs wouldn't leave mine alone, while their owners screamed in vain at them from afar. I hope my dog didn't infect the other dogs or their owners don't come after me if they end up sick, but those dogs should've been on a leash. Am I right?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

My dog has an upper respiratory infection that I suspect is kennel cough. I was walking my dog on my condo's common grounds so he could do his 'business' when, on two separate occasions, a total of four unleashed dogs ran across the street to say hi to him. I tried to leave, but the dogs wouldn't leave mine alone, while their owners screamed in vain at them from afar. I hope my dog didn't infect the other dogs or their owners don't come after me if they end up sick, but those dogs should've been on a leash. Am I right?
Yep, you had control of your dog and were making an effort to keep him out of contact with others. Those that let their animals run loose without any semblance of control are then responsible for what sickness or germs they are exposed it. It's sort of like a dog becoming sick because he ate something strange on an off leash walk. That would be the owner's fault for not having control.

I wouldn't really worry about anyone coming after you though. As mentioned, KC is an easy fix. Besides that, I doubt the other owners will automatically assume it was your dog that infected theirs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yes joeyjoe9 your right, they should be on a leash. I hate when I see dogs unleashed, because it causes a conflict with the ones that ARE leashed. The other day I was doing my walk, when a dog came running at us loose, and you think the owner was anywhere to be found???? and then a neighbour a few houses down was on his porch.....i ask him where the owner is and he said i don't know.....then complains to me that my dog was barking because a dog came at him????? I said look at least I have my dog leashed, this dog's owner ISN'T anywhere to be found. Then i said....do you know where he is? he says no.....then i said i rest my case. and walked away saying.....and they wonder why there dogs get hit by cars....... sheesh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts