Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new here, and I wanted to see if I could get some helpful hints. My dad just died and I'm taking over his house and his dog. Her name is Serey, she's a two-year-old puggle. She hasn't been properly housebroken, as my dad was pretty weak and wasn't able to take her outside and train her properly, so she's been going on the carpet inside for quite a while now. t's to the point where she absolutely will only do her business inside because she doesn't know that she's supposed to do it when she goes out. Does anyone have suggestions on how to discourage her from soiling the carpet and get her to do her business outside?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm excited to be a new dog owner!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You'll have to attack the problem in several ways. The first thing you'll probably have to do is remove the carpet entirely and don't replace it with more carpet. If that's not an option, apply an enzyme cleaner (let it work for a day or two), steam clean the hell out of it and reapply the enzyme cleaner.

Second step, deny all access to the carpet and all carpeted areas including rugs.

Third step, you have to catch her in the act to immediately show her that it's wrong to go in the house now. That means someone has to be watching her all the time. If you can't watch her, crate or confine her.

Last step, praise and treat for going outside....lots and lots of praise. Take her out every hour...yes, every hour. Dogs will relieve themselves every 70-90 minutes so, you need to get ahead of that schedule to teach her.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My sympathies.

This adjustment period is going to be hard on the puggle. Change is stressful for dogs, so be patient.
She is only two years old so housetraining should be not TOO difficult. I recommend the same as the PP mentioned about the carpets. You may want to work on confining her, with baby gates, an xpen or a crate...removing the access to places she would normally go helps to break the "practice". The less she is able to practice the unwanted behaviour, the less it will happen. Pretend she is a puppy again. Start from the beginning, keeping a chart of when she eats, when she goes and whether she had accidents. Take her out as much as possible and reward her handsomely with REALLy good food treats when she finally does it outside (this will take time and patience) and remember not to punish her accidents. If you do get rid of the carpet, keep a small piece to take outside in the yard in the beginning..she may be so used to the texture it may be hard for her to go on the grass at first. Then gradually make the carpet piece smaller until it is nothing and she is going on the grass.

It can be done. It makes a lot of work in the beginning but dogs learn to do what they are taught to do with patience, consistency and rewards.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your suggestions, they were incredibly helpful! Serey doesn't pee or poop inside anymore.

I tried at first to confine her to the kitchen with a baby gate, but she easily jumped over it, so I started keeping her on a leash attached to the table leg so she can't get to the two places where she used to go.

Again, thanks for your help. =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts