Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I live in Mumbai (Bombay).. Here the climate is humid throughout the year. I currently have a black labrador. I'm thinking of buying cocker spaniel (2 of them together)... Can anyone help me with their views? I'm not sure if Cocker spaniels can live in humid climate or will they loose lot of hair.. Alternatively can you suggest another friendly dog which is good looking...
Thanks in advance,
Mishtein:)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Cockers require regular grooming or they get matted fur. If you keep them groomed the humidity shouldn't be any more of a factor for them than other dogs. All dogs should have a place they can get out of the sun, and into a cooler area during extreme heat. Short nosed dogs can't handle the heat/humidity as well as longer nosed dogs.

Cockers do not get a heavy undercoat or shed a lot.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I stayed with a family in Jaipur this summer that had a cocker spaniel. It was so hot during the worst parts of the summer and a bit humid on monsoon days and the dog was fine. She just stayed inside the house for the most part during the hottest part of the day. As said by the other poster though, you need to get the dog groomed regularly, their coats can mat up if not given enough care and that can be very uncomfortable for the dog. And of course you otherwise just need to provide cool shelter for the dog from the heat and constant access to clean water. I guess too if you schedule the dog's walks for early in the morning and later at night when it's not so oppresively hot out it would be better. I live in North Carolina and we have a few hot/humid days were every year too and that's how we arrange our walks. Anyway, hope that helps some. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I have a friend in Thailand with a cocker spaniel as well, and the dog is fine. They just have to make sure he has plenty of water and and access to shade, but that would apply to any dog in that climate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you get a cocker you really do need to get it groomed ever 4-6 weeks by a professional or learn how to very thoroughly comb it's coat and cut the hair yourself. The grooming costs of owning a cocker is not that cheap since it is a big job. They have hair that grows long and mats very easily. The grooming needs of a cocker are very high maintenance unless you get it a short hair cut, but even that will need to be trimmed every 6 weeks or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts