Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been giving my dog those white rawhide rolls for years. Then i heard by several people these are not good. I had thought has long as they werent bleached they were ok - but I guess rawhide sticks to the dogs digestive track??

Anyway today I found something different - i thought -till i got in the car and saw it too was rawhide - but brown and tougher - in the shape of a dog bone.

So is ALL rawhide bad???

If so - is there anything I can give her besides rawhide that LASTS???? I know she loves it - but I love it too because it will keep her occupied for hours. :) Rubber chew toys dont interest her at all.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I stay away from rawhide, if they break off a piece and eat it, it swells up in their stomach/intestine and can cause a blockage. Yes some people use them for years and nothing bad happens, but what's the point in taking the chance.

Try bully sticks, they last longer and are better than rawhide. Or antlers, like, real deer antlers. I've got a pair of elk antlers my dog loves to chew on, but they actually sell cut pieces of antlers in many dog stores or online.

Some dogs like Nylabones, and some like kongs with peanut butter on the inside :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I don't give rawhide to my dogs. Not only can they cause a blockage, but they are also full of chemicals and if left out between being chewed on they become a breeding ground for bacteria. I prefer stuffed Kongs and antlers. I would also like to try these:

http://www.himalayandogchew.com

·
Registered
434 Posts
I stay away from rawhide, if they break off a piece and eat it, it swells up in their stomach/intestine and can cause a blockage. Yes some people use them for years and nothing bad happens, but what's the point in taking the chance.

Try bully sticks, they last longer and are better than rawhide. Or antlers, like, real deer antlers. I've got a pair of elk antlers my dog loves to chew on, but they actually sell cut pieces of antlers in many dog stores or online.

Some dogs like Nylabones, and some like kongs with peanut butter on the inside :)
I dunno, I find bully sticks last my dog all of maybe 10 minutes and are expensive. They're more like a treat than a long lasting chew.

I know that you can find raw bones at the butcher and those last longer than even the bones you find at the pet store.

Or the femur bones (the cylindrical ones) seem to last a long time as well as ostrich bones (store near me sells those).

Cow hooves seem to do ok.

And of course nylabones if your dog will chew them.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Yes, some dogs do tear through bully sticks, chews don't last but 10 minutes around here, but the antlers for big strong jawed dogs work well!

What breed is your dog mb935?

Some people say the pig hooves/ears, etc...can carry salmonella, but I've never had a problem with it, but I don't give them that much since they don't last.

·
Registered
296 Posts
there is a product like greenies but without the corn wheat and soy called denta sticks 7 in 1. they are super cheap and not full o crapola. my dog gets one a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts