Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a dog food representative that I should avoid giving my 5 month old puppy rawhide bones to chew and they are not good for her. She absolutely loves her rawhide bones but should they be avoided? I was told to try a knuckle or marrow bone instead. I guess I just cook it up until the marrow is cooked and then give it to her. Will she be ok with this?

Anymore recommendations for things she can chew on that are bone like?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Don't cook bones! Many bones splinter more easily after cooking and they, too can be problematic for your pet.

Look into bully sticks. Most dogs love them, and you can order them for cheap prices online (they tend to be expensive in stores). Buy one, give it a try. They are 100% digestible and have no artificial additives, unlike rawhide.

I order from www.bestbullysticks.com

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Raw bones are fine, cooked bones are an invitation for disaster. Dump the cooked knuckle bone and go get another raw one to feed.

Bully sticks are good too.

Rawhide is another invitation to disaster. They are highly processed with harmful chemicals, are often imported from countries that have less livestock oversight than the US, and the pices that dogs chew off can ball up in the intestines causing major blockage requiring surgery.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Don't cook bones! Many bones splinter more easily after cooking and they, too can be problematic for your pet.

Look into bully sticks. Most dogs love them, and you can order them for cheap prices online (they tend to be expensive in stores). Buy one, give it a try. They are 100% digestible and have no artificial additives, unlike rawhide.

I order from www.bestbullysticks.com
I actually found a place that sells the 4 inch bully sticks pretty cheap too.

http://www.lukesallnatural.com/free-range-bully-sticks-p-340.html?cPath=25_54_49

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I've been wondering for a while, what is a bully stick made out of? I read one article saying it was made out of Tendons from cows, and a few others saying it was made out of a Bulls unmentionable's. Which is is?:confused:

·
Registered
322 Posts
The latter -- it's bull penis. And they love it!!

(LOL, I said something about them to the guy I was dating at the time, and he said, "but Bailey is a boy dog, right?" He was horrified! Bales, not so much.)

·
Registered
500 Posts
The latter -- it's bull penis. And they love it!!

(LOL, I said something about them to the guy I was dating at the time, and he said, "but Bailey is a boy dog, right?" He was horrified! Bales, not so much.)
I always thought it was just beef muscle...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts