Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is a chewer,mostly shoes.I bought her two teeething bones to prevent her from chewing up all our shoes.I bought her a rawbone the other day because she doen't like the teething bones. Are rawhide bones good for a dog? Can they do harm to a dog or puppy? I just want to know in case I might buy any more.I hid the other from her until I seen some reponses here. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Rawhides are generally considered to be dangerous toys... They can cause blockages pretty easily, and are preserved with all kinds of nasty chemicals, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't give my dogs any kind of rawhide...in my opinion, it isn't fit for anything but the trash.

There's a great article concerning rawhide here: http://www.daneangelnetwork.org/rawhide.htm

If you haven't read it before, you should...it certainly changed my mind on what I "thought" rawhide was, years ago...

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You'll get mixed answers here. It depends on the dog (how active a chewer is she? what kind of chewer is she?) and your level of supervision. My dog is a very active chewer who generally spits things out and who is 100% supervised but I still won't give her rawhide since it can cause obstructions. I've had 3 vets advise us not to do it and that's enough for me. Keep in mind that vets see the downside of rawhide chewing so they are going to probably be biased against it. Lots of people give their dogs rawhide and have no problem with it. IMO there are a lot better options out there so why risk it? But you know your dog best and will have to decide for yourself.

Better options: stuffed Kongs, interactive toys like buster cubes, tug-a-jugs, twist-n-treat, busy buddies, etc. = just google it and you'll find a lot of options. Nylabone makes a lot of chews as well, although you have to be careful and pick the right toy for your dog's chewing habits. Others will also recommend deer antlers and raw (never cooked) bones, although I haven't tried those for our dog and I'm not sure whether they are ok for puppies. I trust others will advise.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Besides the choking factor, I would rather my dog chew on something that wasn't doused with a batch of nasty chemicals. Raw bones are a great alternative.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing the results here,I'm putting the bone in the trash. For some reasons,she also like soda/water bottles.Have'nt figured that out yet.She has a Nylabone and chews when she has no other options.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm going to have to ask my vet about this when I go see her this weekend. I give my dog rawhides because he loves them to death. He goes nuts when I give him a rawhide and it keeps him occupied for hours on end (which I like). I wasn't aware of the health hazards of them at all.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to have to ask my vet about this when I go see her this weekend. I give my dog rawhides because he loves them to death. He goes nuts when I give him a rawhide and it keeps him occupied for hours on end (which I like). I wasn't aware of the health hazards of them at all.
Me either.I decided to ask here about them because some folks here are more knoweldgable about that kind of stuff than I am.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might consider cows ears, available at most pet stores. The are skinned and dried gristle. Ours loves them and they are better than rawhide.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Some vets actually promote raw-hide. My vet sell these strips of raw hide that is suppose to clean your dogs teeth Medically treated with something). When I confronted the vet, he said he has never heard of any problems with these special raw hide chews. So they are making money off these raw hide products, why say anything negative about them. So your vet may also give you bad advise if it means more money in their pocket. My dogs do love chewing on the bully sticks, and I only give them 15 - 25 minutes per evening. They are pricey, but my dogs are worth it! When I have only three inches left I pitch the rest, But it is totally digestable. I buy the 12inchers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You would be better served giving your dog a raw meaty bone they are cheaper, heathier and completely safe. I give my a girl a massive one for about $1.50. It usually take like three hours to chew.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I give Champ rawhides but I do supervise him. I gave my last dog, who lived until 12 years old, rawhides his entire life. I understand there is a controversy but I don't have a problem with it.

I read the article and I just have two questions regarding it. One is that the person said that rawhides never digest. If that's so, then how come we never see it coming out in the dog's poop? I see all kinds of other things, but never bits of rawhide. Also, it said to put a piece of rawhide in water and let it set overnight. In the morning, it will have increased in size. I know when Champ eats his rawhides, the end he is eating gets a little "fluffed up" from his saliva, but when he swallows bits of it, it doesn't sit in water. Dogs have a high concentration of stomach acid so that's what it's sitting in, not water.

Anyway, I continue to give my dog rawhides because he is a big chewer. He also has some raw bones but generally, he likes the rawhides best. Like I said earlier, I do supervise and if I see it getting down to a small piece, I'll toss it and start fresh.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Surprisingly, Whole Dog Journal is reviwing rawhides next month. They say some brands are OK, under certain conditions......I'll be interested in reading that article.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I stopped giving rawhide a looong time ago when the Vet told me to stop. That article is really great, thanks for sharing it. Alternatives that the article lists are wonderful to try. If you're too lazy to read it (the list is at the end) I'll post it here: The following products are all digestible and safe for your pets.

Budda Chew Products- all digestible chew bones and treats

Muscle Chews- all digestible, contains no hide product.

Bull Pizzle Chews- all natural alternative to rawhide.

Healthy Edibles- all natural health chews, completely digestible and contain no sugars or fillers.

Raw shank or knuckle bones- these should be given only under your supervision and with some knowledge of RAW or BARF feeding methods.

Kong rubber products are great chew toys, which can keep dogs very busy, especially when a little peanut butter and dog biscuits are wedged inside for them to work out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I haven't read the link yet--I am on my way.

Thing is, I may never get done thanking DF for reminding me how incredibly ignorant I am about dogs/dog stuff.

I never knew there was even an issue with rawhides, and I fed them for years.

Off to read...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Regarding kong toys, you are not suggesting it is ok to ingest rubber. I mean if they work portions of it off they most likely will swallow it.

I also question why I do not see any thing coming out with dog's waste. Especially some of the large pieces he consumes?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Regarding kong toys, you are not suggesting it is ok to ingest rubber. I mean if they work portions of it off they most likely will swallow it.

I also question why I do not see any thing coming out with dog's waste. Especially some of the large pieces he consumes?
If the Kong is so used that it is coming apart, it needs to be thrown out and replaced.

As for rawhide bones, I have Big Words one and kept an eye on it when he had it. Nevermind the fact that he had it chewed in half in less than 12 hours. The part that scared me was when he nearly choked on one of the pieces (thankfully, I was able to pull it out of his throat with my fingers before it did any damage). Worse yet, he got agressive -- barking, growling, at me -- which is something he never does -- when I took the rest of the way.

So, no more rawhides. Period.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Another thing we used for our older dog was Greenie bones. Now I heard those aren't very good. In fact our dog almost choked on them. We aren't using them on our puppy now.

·
Registered
932 Posts
My last dog lived to the ripe old age of 13 only getting rawhides.
I won't give one to my dogs though. I prefer just giving them raw bones, busy bones, kongs, etc.

Marko, a puppy I co-own, got a rawhide, and got the runs like crazy from it. We figured he's done with those.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts