Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!!

Okay, I have two extremes here.....Willie, the sometimes I eat and sometimes I won't dog.....Anabelle who will eat a brick if you put it in the bowl.....I do rotate kibble.....He will eat a new one, but really soon, he gets to where he lays by it, then when I pick it up he whines for it later.....I do not give till next feeding.....I feed twice a day......okay, so to get to my point.....LOL.....after talking to a few people at the club, I decided to try the packaged raw......At my Pet Supplies Plus, they had the Nature's Variety, and then the manager was explaining to me about this local one......JJ Fud's......My question to you guys is do you swich like it was kibble.....slowly......mix some with the kibble till you gradually have nothing but all raw? I also was told that your not supposed to do that......that they digest it different than kibble.......so do I just feed the raw totally by it's self right away? This is making me nervous......I am not ready to do it all separate, and thought this will be somewhat better......the dogs love it.....BTW, here is what I got ....the chicken.....The store manager feeds it also......Thanks for helping!

http://www.jjfuds.com/

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I'm not sure that a trained sausage maker is also trained about animal nutrition. Good to see that they include the bones, but how much. What does the nutritional statement look like on the package?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it says....

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min) 12.73%
Crude Fat (min) 21.79%
Crude Fiber (max) 0.57%
Moisture (max) 53.79%

I have the chicken tender chunks 5 LBS bag.

Thanks!! Maybe I should have just got the Natures Variety??.....

But should I mix the kibble? Thanks for replying....I gotta run to class.....:)

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Cold turkey is what most people would recommend. No adding kibble, just feed raw for the entire meal.

Nia is exactly like Willie, sometimes eats, sometimes won't. That's why raw didn't work for us. I would put out the meat, then sometimes she'd eat it, other times she won't at all. Offer at next meal, no luck. And I can't exactly leave out raw meat sitting on the floor.

Kibble works better so that she can eat when she wants. That's the case for us anyways. I hope your kids do very well on raw!

·
Registered
403 Posts
When I switched Jhazmyn to raw I just switched without transitioning. She had her "detox" stage and then everything was fine after.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I definitely suggest that you make the transition slowly. Just simply keep in feeding what you normally do to a slightly lesser amount and add...say, a tablespoon a raw...increase every day...add an extra tablespoon every day until you reach the amount that you feel is ample for a meal. Most dogs will have digestive problems if you make the change 'cold turkey' so basically if you do take things slowly you risk avoiding a diarrheoa that is laden with blood.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I switched 2 dogs cold turkey (heeheehee) to raw. We didn't have any issues at all. I guess it all depends on your dog and what you think their stomachs can handle. You could also look into a digestive aid or probiotic. I give my guys acidophilus every day.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you guys!

Willie is so weird.....LOL....I was putting like a tablespoon of the Instinct canned on top of his kibble to help him eat, and it works sometimes.....

Does anyone feed the Nature's Variety prepared raw?.....For me to do raw, this would be the way for me.....

Well, I guess I will add more of the raw tonight.......I will be off work for two days so I can see how they do.....My husband is not happy with all this....LOL

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thanks you guys!

Willie is so weird.....LOL....I was putting like a tablespoon of the Instinct canned on top of his kibble to help him eat, and it works sometimes.....

Does anyone feed the Nature's Variety prepared raw?.....For me to do raw, this would be the way for me.....

Well, I guess I will add more of the raw tonight.......I will be off work for two days so I can see how they do.....My husband is not happy with all this....LOL
I did the frozen raw medallions for Jhazmyn and she loved them. Its actually cheaper to pick up food from the store. So I quit with the medallions. Although, I might pick some up so I can use them as treats for her.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I've fed NV raw before. Nia ate it happily for about 3 or 4 days then stopped eating them. She only ate 2 half meals in 4 days after that and I became concerned and stopped it. She's like that with all food though. That's why free feeding kibble works better for us. But when we fed NV she
had no problems transitioning and did great on it. Tiny very small and firm poops.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You should go cold turkey. Kibble and raw digests at different rates and you will probably have a bigger chance at having the runs if you mix it. Just my 0.02 worth

·
Registered
202 Posts
Most people just switch over cold turkey since there's a lot of debate on whether or not its good to have raw mixed in with kibble. They do digest at different rates which can cause stomach upset.

NV medallions are great. They make feeding raw easier, but one thing to keep in mind is that they do not offer the same dental benefits that feeding a REAL raw meal would. A huge part of why most people feed raw is b/c of the dental benefits. I think you will find if you switch over to all pre-made raw you are going to get plaque build up and tartar.

RMB's (raw meaty bones) are great for helping with that. I'd say at least one a week if you do go to premade ground raw.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, they got all raw tonight.....I feed them in seperate rooms.....Anabelle is a food hound and she will attack Willie's......they ate it right up.....but now it seems Willie is like all jacked up....wired.....ready to fight her for anything.....My DH says it's the food.....See what I have to deal with? LOL....DH is a great guy, that I love dearly, who just doesn't understand some of the things I do.....LOL....>Like rotating foods and such....I am trying to determine the portion.....the bar is 2oz, and on the bag it says for a 10-20 pound dog, to feed 3-6 oz......so I figured for them about 2oz or a tad less twice a day......I think when this bag is done I am going to try the NV......I have to see them both.....LOL.....I hope this works......Oh now I have a question......can I feed this prepared raw for a couple weeks then go to kibble for a couple and then back and forth? I am asking because that store manager had said she feeds both....but I did not get into how she does that....I plan on asking her in tyhe furture when I see her...

Thanks everyone!!!! I will keep you posted!!

One more thing.....the treats can stay the same, right? I hope this isn't a dumb question....we feed Zukes, and stuff like that.....:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this morning Willie is acting the same as he did with the kibble....not eating.....just nibbling.....then he is still acting all wired.....I picked it up....the pup just ate like always.....I was so hoping that he would gobble it.....now watch, in like a hour or so he will be whining for his food.....this is getting old.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
The one concern with papillons and raw (which is my problem now) is they are insanely picky eaters. They're also small enough that hypoglycemia is a real concern for them if they skip too many meals.

Summer likes the premade raw, but it's too expensive for me personally to feed as a whole diet. Right now I'm supplementing with it, but I'm thinking about getting a grinder, actually.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Well this morning Willie is acting the same as he did with the kibble....not eating.....just nibbling.....then he is still acting all wired.....I picked it up....the pup just ate like always.....I was so hoping that he would gobble it.....now watch, in like a hour or so he will be whining for his food.....this is getting old.
He sounds SO much like Nia. Almost exactly the same. Another thing that I know some people do is to leave kibble out for the dogs to nibble on and feed raw at meal-times. But then you said Anabelle will eat anything so maybe that won't work...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Willie seems to get bored with the same food after awhile always....right now he is looking right at me with this *I am going to raise hell* look....LOL....He is barking at the slightest things today......

Hi Lauren! Yeah, I was just giving this pre-made stuff a try......little (big) Anabelle never refuses food...LOL...she would make herself sick if she got into a bag......so I am going to keep her on it for sure......but Willie is really testing my nerves....LOL....like right now, he is doing his, what I call, sutd'inski act......like a fighting bull does with their feet.....he does that a lot....I am like, *I know your a stud, Willie* (he IS neutered) I am thinking he will eat tonight......or he SHOULD......he should be hungry.....:p

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't leave out food......Michiyo, I wish I could.......but then he guards it......he doesn't eat, just guards it.......won't let the cat walk by......He is so weird with food....I do not know.....Anabelle is so normal.....you lay it down...she eats in like 4 minutes, you pick up the bowl, because if you don't she licks it FOREVER!! LOL........I love these paps....they are really good dogs....:)

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm getting ready to start Nature's Variety RAW. I have two bags of frozen bison medallions in the freezer. I know a lot of people(my vet included) who feed kibble in the morning/raw in the evening. That is what I am going to have to do also. Nature's Variety patties are a better deal but more difficult to portion. Also, if you go to their website you can get coupons for a free bag of RAW!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, CorgiKarma....Thanks for telling us.....going no for a coupon.....

So, it's okay to do kibble say in the morning and raw at night? Maybe Willie would like that better......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts