Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read in another post re spacing kibble with your raw? I usually mix rare (slightly heated) hamburger and cottage cheese into the dogs' nightly kibble- they love it and have never had a problem- I usually do raw meaty bones a few times a week for during the day entertainment, and the adult dogs get raw chicken necks for breakfast a few times a week as well.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If its slightly cooked, its not raw, and the dogs likely won't have problems with it. If you were to mix completely raw ground beef with kibble, then your more likely to notice digestion upset. Not ALL dogs will experience an issue with mixing raw with dry food, but its not a safe practice, anyway. I'm a raw/kibble feeder, I dont always feed kibble, but when raw isn't convenient, kibble it is - I ensure a MINIMUM of 8 hours between a raw meal and a kibble meal. The reason for this is because raw food moves through the digestive tract very quickly - it has to because of all the bacteria content, dogs, by nature can digest raw meat very quickly, however kibble is slower digesting, and if mixed, or fed too closely together, kibble can force raw food (and the bacteria in it) to stay in the digestive tract longer than it should. I have experienced this with my dog once, and its nothing more than diarrhea usually, but like I said, if you can avoid it.. then don't do it. However, if whatever you are doing now isn't affecting your dogs in any way, then don't worry about it, but be cautious of it that's all. You dont want any waterhose diarrhea :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've mixed raw mince and various raw meaty bones with kibble meals with no issue. I used to follow the strict "NO KIBBLE AND RAW TOGETHER" but after some research into it, found no real logical reason not to do it. My dogs do not have problems with it, but others may. Different dogs, different outcomes. Try it with a little amount of raw and kibble and see how your dog reacts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts