Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I brought home my rhodesian ridgeback about 3 weeks ago and have had so much trouble with his food. He was on the diamond brand chicken for puppies (breeders food) for two weeks when he was weaned off of mom. We started him on nutro natures choice puppy chicken which he didnt care for much at all and then switched to natures variety instinct raw boost puppy chicken. He was very excited for the natures variety at first, but after 2 weeks is now bored of it and wont eat it at all unless something else is mixed in (like wet food) and even then he spits the kibble out most of the time. He's looking a little ribby and its quite worrying. We've taken him to the vet and he had a parasite that was cleared up within a week, but now hes fine, and still not eating. Ive heard that natures variety is a GREAT dog food and gets most picky eaters to eat.

Going forward now, I'm not sure what I should do. Im thinking that i should either

1. switch to homemade cooked food (would not have any idea where to start ...also seems very time consuming to make sure that he gets all nutrients - WOULD consider this if i could find more information about how to do make cooked food well for him )

2. switch to another food brand such as blue buffalo wilderness puppy + add in same brand in canned food

3. try a different type of meat in his current brand such as lamb

He gets enough exercise each day and plays a lot... so he should be eating. He also loves turkey cold cuts (nitrite free and organic) and does not like peanut butter (we've tried several times with a kong toy and regular treats)

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Chopping and changing food a lot can potentially cause problems - if not outright upsetting pups stomach, then possibly making him fussy (ie, you give him something else if he doesn't eat, so he knows he can hold out for something better)
How old is he? A lot of large breed puppies can look VERY bony at a young age; at about three months my borzoi looked like a cruelty case haha

Most healthy dogs aren't going to starve themselves for want of something tastier - especially a giant growing puppy lol.
In your situation, I'd pick something and stick with it. If he doesn't eat it, tough (unless he starts rapidly losing weight or becomes ill, obviously)

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
My puppy was the same. He had very little interest in his food. I just left the food out all day and let him graze as he pleased. You could try mixing in baby food (check ingredients first). Mine was thin for a long time. As long as he is healthy I would not worry too much about it. He won't starve himself.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
My puppy Mason does not like to eat either, he would much rather be doing something else. Letting him graze was not an option due to the other dogs in the house. I have tired crating him until he eats and he will just starve himself, but that might be something for you to try. When that didn't work for me I started to add stuff to his kibble and he eats okay-ish now. I add canned dog food, chicken broth (or beef, turkey, etc) and sometimes some ground up raw meats to his kibble. And if he does not eat it all with in 30 minutes I take it away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts