Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some turkey legs at the grocery store for "treats" for my dog Jack (possibly Carolina Dog). I'm considering switching him to a raw diet, so I wanted to see how he did. The first leg he didn't really understand what to do with it. He licked it and cried the whole evening until I held it for him, then he was able to bite the meat off. He got it a little more with the second leg. He still didn't hold it with his paws, but he ate about half of the leg by bed time. His stool was regular that night and morning. I came home from work (6pm) to a mess though. He had gotten diarrhea sometime during the day (yesterday) and had gone in his cage (a lot!). He tried to go to the bathroom when I took him out (immediately when I got home), but couldn't. The rest of the evening he had a few squirts. He woke me up twice during the night to go, and it was still runny. Still runny the two times he went this morning. The vet said feed cooked chicken and rice.

Do you think it was the turkey that caused this (my mom is convinced!)? He gets into a mess of things...paper, dirt.. He is also on immunotherapy and taking a pill to relieve itching when needed. Any recommendations? I've noticed a discharge coming out of his right eye as well (my left). It is clear/whitish, but seems pretty constant - I wipe it off...it comes back, etc, etc. Could this be related?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Chicken is what most raw feeders start with and then it is bone heavy chicken like wings or backs. A raw diet is very rich for dogs used to kibble so some diarrhea and stomach upset is expected at the beginning. You might want to do some serious research on raw feeding before jumping in. It is a delicate balance in the beginning. Alos I started my Lola on turkey necks first due to high bone content and small size. She did great with no diarrhea at all. However this weekend I gave her less than an ounce of chicken liver and had diarrhea and vomiting.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Does he routinely get diarrhea from his medications?
Dog eats two turkey legs, gets diarrhea. Coincidence? Not on your life.
In fact, be surprised if he doesn't get diarrhea. But don't worry, any dog alive would gladly trade a couple days diarrhea for two turkey legs.

Unless you know what you're doing, feeding raw might deprive him of some essential vitamins and minerals. If you do know what you're doing, then you got one lucky dog.

Unless you poked him in the eye with a drumstick, the discharge is unlikely to be related. <----[edit: forget this, based on kathyr's post below]

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Poor Jack! ......... He just doesn't seem to get much of a break. I hope he does well on his raw diet. :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Some raw feeders report an eye discharge with new to raw dogs. They speculate that the chewing messages the lachrymal gland.

First rule of raw feeding is the amount to feed! Start with 2% of the dog's weight as the total food for the day. A 50 pound dog starts with a pound a day. The turkey legs I have seen weigh at least a pound so 2 would be enough food for a 100 pound dog. More than ~2% can easily cause diarrhea.

If you are sticking to raw then skip a meal and feed 2% a day of bony chicken with the skin and fat removed.

Max hates to touch his food with his feet. Generally he picks up bits, chomps a few times, tosses the food to the other side and chomps more and ends up swallowing it whole but with thoroughly up broken bones. Look at some videos online to see how dogs eat small stuff.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
if you're going to feed raw for 'treats' i think turkey legs are not something i would use..

maybe treat him with a turkey neck.....instead...

the amount of meat and bone on a turkey leg is quite a bit for a non raw fed dog....

with new dogs, sometimes ribboning the meat helps....or just letting him figure it out....

when and if you are ready to actually switch to raw, there are easier ways than this.

your mom is wrong. it wasn't turkey error. it was user error :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help everyone! Potty time is back to normal for Jack! Eye discharge is still there though, so I hope to see it go away in a day or 2 since it developed later than the diarrhea. Will do more reading before he gets more raw food!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts