Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if we're going to try it out on our own just yet but I'm considering switching my dog to raw. The two places I take my dog for breed classes sell premade raw and swear by it. One is Oma's pride and the other is Bravo. I have been reading up on it and I'd like to give it a shot, my own concern is I need my show dog to look his best, I can't afford for him to get sick from it. (some people seem to have sick dogs on raw? Or maybe they just over/under fed them?)

I figured I'd try the premade, then buy a big freezer and try to make home made. My only concern is taking him to shows how on earth will I bring raw with me? (unless if we took the camper which isn't always easy).

And speaking of premades or just raw in general which meat is best? Beef, chicken, lamb, exotics? I need a super shiney coat (we suppliment either salmon oil, flaxseed or canola oil right now) and a lean/well maintained look. He is in tip top shape now except he's chewing at his paws, getting ear infections. We're on a good food I'm just not sure if its that.

Added note: ear infections could be due to swimming, he is a retriever. We are going to the vet today. (we're litterally packing up now haha) I also have no idea where to begin in finding things like liver or heart or any of that. There doesn't seem to be a raw group in MA.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you feed raw yourself, it's best to introduce the dog using one meat (chicken is cheapest) and then introduce other meats (beef, pork, fish, lamb, bison venison, or at least 3-4 varieties) as the different meats provide different nutrients.

The Honest Kitchen is a dehydrated raw that would be good for travelling, when you can't feed "real" raw.

I don't know anything about the premade raws, but that they're kind of spendy.

Edit: There are 2 small yahoo groups in MA. google them and you might be able to get some pointers there.

metrowest

MA Rawfeeder

Also Carnivore Feed Supplier is a good group to use to find good meat in your area.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
With premade raw you defeat one of the main purposes of feeding your dog a natural diet - knowing and controlling what goes in their food dish. A lot of times it includes stuff your dog doesn't need and it comes at a premium price. I would recommend you ditch the premade idea and join the raw feeding group on yahoo and do as much research as you can. ;)

JMHO.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, yeah, I forgot about the regular rawfeeder group. D'oh!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts