Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are moving home to newfoundland :D and we are trying to figure out where we will get iorek's food. we know some one who's uncle owns a convenience store (the only store in that small community!) who can order things like turkey necks and whole chickens for us in bulk. there are also a lot of people in the community that hunt moose. i was thinking i would ask to buy last years left over moose from them and i was wondering this is ok to feed iorek. i know that the bones that we would get from a moose will most likely not be edible since it will probably be leg bones and stuff. also, if the meat is freezer burnt that is ok too right?

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
while we don't have moose in my area, I do feed my dog wild caught game very regularly. Including deer meat, which I wouldn't think would be far off the mark from moose. Game meat should be frozen at least a month before feeding.

I also feed squirrel, rabbit, and duck.

You might want to talk to the hunting community as a whole, not just moose hunters. Im sure people hunt enough of a variety of animals you may be able to provide Iorek with a wide variety of meats.

Just with the moose...as I do the deer...make sure they are willing to butcher it for you. Butching your own whole deer/moose is NOT fun. :eek:

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I don't see why moose would be a problem, but you may want to check with the Yahoo rawfeeding group just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Oh I think you're very lucky to be able to get your hands on wild moose! I'd jump on the opportunity, but right now my sources are pretty limited, tho I'm hoping I'll at least be able to get some dear meat, duck, pheasant, wild turky & stuff this year, but I KNOW no moose will come my way.
Like someone mentioned, I'd just be sure to freeze for at least a full month, maybe even 2 months, before feeding.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys!

i was thinking that wild meat had to be frozen for year before i could feed it. i am glad that i checked here :) i don't know where the idea of a whole year came from.

i am not sure what other things are hunted in newfoundland. i know that people do catch rabbit. i could check about that for sure. maybe pheasants too? i am not sure. my friend's dad is a hunter so i will have to ask her.

i am not sure about having to butcher the meat. i know that i could NEVER do it myself, but i am pretty sure if i get last years freezer burnt meat it will already be cut up. there is also a butcher close to where my husband's family live (so we will be visiting often) who sells 1/4 pigs and 1/4 cow and stuff like that. i believe he also has lamb. we will be checking with him to see if we can get the things from him like neck bones and organs. my friend said that he travels to the community that we will be living in regularly.

i am excited about all the opportunities but i am also very nervous about having to do this all on my own now! here we order our food from a local raw dog food company who packages the food for me in nice little 1 lb bags so all i do is email her and she sends what i want then i take one package out of the freezer and give it to iorek! now i will have to cut up chickens and do all that stuff myself! :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
You'll do great I know! I just hunked up a whole chicken yesterday without any issue (this is coming from the girl who threw up after seeing a rabbit at the grocery store and can't consume any meat with bones herself)

im very excited for you and great catch on the moose!

·
Registered
945 Posts
That is so awesome. I would love to have access to something like that. I know you'll do great and what a lucky dog! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts