Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mesa hates kibble. period. any kibble. So we have to add hamburger or cheese or whatever to get her to eat it. Lately I've been looking into raw feeding since it can't be any more difficult, or expensive, than what we go through now.

My question is (and sorry if this is really stupid), when they say "raw meaty bones", do they mean the dog eats the entire bone? I've given her raw chicken and seen that she easily eats those bones, but beef rib bones? Would she eat the whole bone or does she eat the meat and scrape the bone? I'm having a hard time picturing this.

Also, is raw pork safe and what about pork bones?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Sometimes the bone is completely eaten. Sometimes it is partly eaten. Sometimes it is merely stripped bare. You might split RMB into two rough categories, edible and recreational bones.

Today the dogs got elk femur joints. When they were done the red meat was off and they left stringy ligaments and tendons after 3.5 hours of chewing. Happy dogs. Another time they get ribs and will eat most of them. Another time they get chicken feet and they are gone after a couple dozen chomps. This depends on the dog's size and need to chew. Larger dogs would completely finish off the ribs and any chicken would be useless as a chew.

My little dogs eat all chicken bone, some turkey/pork/lamb bone, a little beef/venison/elk bone. I never know. Sometimes ribs are gone and sometimes they are stripped and taken apart. Once the bone can be taken into the mouth and it is a harder sort chew time is over and I trade for a treat.

With the harder bones it's important that there is a good amount of meaty stuff on them so the dog will pull that off and be somewhat sated before getting to the yummy bone that needs some care to work on. You don't want the dog to be attempting to break the bone or gnawing on the shafts of large mammal leg bones. A meaty beef neck bone that's about the size of your dog's skull is about right where a single rib would be quite dangerous.

Pork isn't any more dangerous than other bone. Any meat offered raw is safer if it's been commercially frozen. Never offer raw bear or wild hog though as there is a freeze resistant trich out there. Never offer raw wild northwest salmon as there is a parasite that kills dogs that comes from a critter that is cold tender. Alaska salmon is okay, not Washington, Oregon or lower BC. Prompt treatment can save the dog though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts