Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadie had been on raw for months and did great. Recently I'd been giving her Pet Botanics food roll instead for convenience. Every now and then I still get to give her a raw meal, but each time she's thrown up. It was fresh chicken and she threw up!

Any ideas why? What should I do?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
What did she throw up? It may be that she was just intolerant to the switch from processed food back to raw.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She threw up the meat and bones with some fat. It was still pretty obvious what it was. She threw up more partially digested food an hour later. She did not want to eat anything else.

When we switched from kibble to raw the first time she never got sick.

Also I've been trying a raw meal once a week for a month and she's done it each time. Should I just go back to 100% raw and hope she stops in a few days?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Can you cut it up in little pieces for a time and see if that helps? If not, I would go to the premade ground raw. I've had more luck with that sometimes.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
She threw up the meat and bones with some fat. It was still pretty obvious what it was. She threw up more partially digested food an hour later. She did not want to eat anything else.

When we switched from kibble to raw the first time she never got sick.

Also I've been trying a raw meal once a week for a month and she's done it each time. Should I just go back to 100% raw and hope she stops in a few days?
I would go back to 100% raw, personally. Take off the fat and skin and let her adjust. What parts are you feeding for her raw meal?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was drumsticks today, I think last week it was plain breast.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OH GOD. The runs. WHY OH WHY!!!!!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I think that switching her around - even if it's only one meal - is messing with her digestive system. I would stick to either raw or the other food.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're going back on raw, I just did not expect her to get the runs. She's always had a really strong stomach. Also, it was all over the walls. It was... awful :( Just needed to complain.

Should I try feeding her smaller meals maybe? Just do a little and see if it settles?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
We're going back on raw, I just did not expect her to get the runs. She's always had a really strong stomach. Also, it was all over the walls. It was... awful :( Just needed to complain.

Should I try feeding her smaller meals maybe? Just do a little and see if it settles?
Oh man. Poor thing. I bet that wasn't fun cleaning up!

I would let her system settle and put her on some boiled chicken and rice for the next few meals. Just to get those poops solid before you start her back on raw.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah right, I have some rice. How does one boil chicken?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
How does one boil chicken?
Drop it in some boiling water and wait for it to cook.

One trick that I do...once the water is boiling and the chicken is almost done, I pour some of the water out and drop the rice in - that way it cooks in the chicken broth.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Drop it in some boiling water and wait for it to cook.

One trick that I do...once the water is boiling and the chicken is almost done, I pour some of the water out and drop the rice in - that way it cooks in the chicken broth.
That's a good method.

If her stomach has been chronically upset, sometimes they get inflamed intestines and need something like flagyl to calm things down. If you already KNOW she can handle dairy, you may want to give her some yogurt to introduce some good probiotics back into her system. If you aren't sure, definitely skip the yogurt.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
um, runs are pretty normal, especially the way you've been hopping around.

I'd use some slippery elm, not flagyl.

get on the rawfeeding list and ask advice, great place.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've heard that it's pretty normal for them to throw up on the raw food, especially if they ingested too much bone or too much fat. They throw up bone if it's too big to be digested... you can try to grind it down to smaller pieces and if it's fat, it probably means she's getting too much fat in her diet.
It could be that the Pet Botanics is too rich for her. When I feed my dogs Pet Botanics I usually add 1 tbls of plain yogurt to it in the morning which aids with digestion.
You can try giving her more meat and less bone and fat... just mix in some ground boneless skinless chicken breasts with the Pet Botanics.
(I would probably switch her to boiled chicken and rice just until her system calms down and she has normal stools again)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. The initial switch to raw was so easy! Poor sadie!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts