Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are dogs sappose to eat the whole thing? because my dog eats it to the point where it is like paste, and he swallows it

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Although everyone has different opinions on the subject, I personally don't like rawhide at all.

When swallowed whole it CAN (not always of course) but can cause blockages which are NOT fun for anyone involved. At work (a vet clinic) we have had to surgically removed parts of rawhide bones from dog's intestines. I've also heard of dogs choking on the small squares of rawhide.

I'm just too nervous for Bridgette to have any rawhide, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't had any problems with rawhide. I have three small dogs and always get the small sized ones for them from Denty's. I don't think they swallow it as it just gets smaller and smaller as they chew and bite pieces off of it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I won't give my dogs rawhides or cooked bones. You honestly couldn't pay me to. Not only can rawhides cause a dog to choke, but most are full of chemical preservatives. Raw meaty bones make for better chews. I also recommend Bully Sticks (purchased from quality sources), stuffed Kongs, Himalayan chews and antlers.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I also recommend Bully Sticks (purchased from quality sources), stuffed Kongs, Himalayan chews and antlers.
Ditto. Bridgette loves Bully Sticks and stuffed Kongs. I buy the Natural Balance rolls of food (look like summer sausage) and slice them into strips and stuff them in her Kong - she'd pretty much do anything for one :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I won't give my dogs rawhides or cooked bones. You honestly couldn't pay me to. Not only can rawhides cause a dog to choke, but most are full of chemical preservatives. Raw meaty bones make for better chews. I also recommend Bully Sticks (purchased from quality sources), stuffed Kongs, Himalayan chews and antlers.
Antlers? Wow - I have to look this up. Never thought about dogs chewing antlers!

Need to look up Himalayan chews while I'm at it. Maybe I can give him some variety in chews instead of just some bones all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts