Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone has some good resources for getting Murdoch started on raw? The only caveat we have is we have to avoid Red Dye #3 and Salmon. Other fish/seafood seem fine, however. Thanks!

Also, things like: is it okay to feed the same thing for a few days in a row? Do all meals need to be balanced or do they just need to be balanced overall? What kinds of things do you feed?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Balance overall is what you're trying to achieve, but cats are way more sensitive to not getting the proper balance over a shorter period of time. That's why I feed about 75% ground (70% muscle meat, 10% heart for the taurine, 10% organs, 10% bone), and then I give them things like quail, whole hearts, etc. a few times a week. My cats typically get chicken, venison, and beef as a part of their regular diet. They also get quail often too.

http://www.rawfedcats.org/

With cats it's a whole process. You're going to want to cut out the kibble completely and get him eating wet food steadily. I would start with some ground raw or really finely chopped meat, and slowly start adding (even start with a pea sized amount) to his wet food and mixing it in. You will want to slowly increase the amount of raw in their meals. If your cat stops eating, it means you're going too fast. Basically do that until your cat is eating raw completely :) A lot of cats won't eat whole prey at first either. I had my cats on ground raw for a few months before I started introducing whole chunks of meat.

Good luck! Honestly you're going to see a huuuuge difference in your cat! I have seen drastic results with my cats -- even more so than with my dog who has been raw fed since he has arrived at my home back in January.

My cats are fine with getting the same thing two days in a row... but three days? Forget about it LOL they're such finicky little pricks -___-

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Haha, yeah, cats like variety. They get snerky if you feed the same thing too often. Why most kibble-fed cats will happily eat the same kibble for 15 years, but a raw-fed cat doesn't want chicken twice in a week, I don't know :p. Cats are weird.

OK, super easiest way: www.hare-today.com whole ground animals plus the Alnutrin they sell. Also super easy: store-bought meat with Better in the Raw added. If he's been on commercial food his whole life, he may not recognize raw meat as food, sometimes kibble/canned food addicts will more easily accept cooked meat, which can be balanced with U-Stew, from the same website that sells Better in the Raw: http://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/cat_food

Once you have him fully transitioned, you can go to prey model or whatever works best for you and him.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is Murdoch persnickety? I ask because there are all these fantastic links about how to SLOWLY transition cats...being notoriously finicky eaters, BUT not all cats are finicky. I gave Adele large chunks of plain chicken which she wouldn't touch until I warmed them slightly and sprinkled with bonito flakes. The next meal she dug right in so the following morning I offered a chicken wing, cut a few slits in it to expose the flesh and sprinkled with bonito flakes and she never looked back. I can pretty much plop anything down in front of her and as long as it is not in any state of frozen she'll eat it. Right now she eats like the dog's eat, a rotational diet of grain free canned, dehydrated and raw with two tablespoons of GF kibble a week. I realize there are MANY cats that steadfastly refuse anything new, but there are also cats that just go with it. What kind of cat is Murdoch? If he is not generally persnickety you might not need to be very conservative in your approach to transition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts