Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found out my frenchie has mange and Im trying to get a good raw recipe to get her started on that specifically helps with the mange. Im only interested in natural foods/ingredients only. So far what I have are the following:

Raw Hamburger Beef (85% fat)
Whole eggs (shell included)
Molasis
Potato (immune-boosting)
Coconut oil (immune-boosting)
Total Multi-grain cereal
oatmeal
wheat germ
Canola Oil
unflavored gelatin

Would you add anything else here? Please share your recipes, it would really help (unfortunately I cannot find any raw recipes that would specifically help with mange). Any help is GREATLY appreciated by myself but most importantly... my little one. TY!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
What about organs?

Why are you adding molasses, cereal, oatmeal, wheat germ, canola oil and unflavored gelatin?

I have never heard of potatos being immune boosting.

How about adding some fish or fish oil for omega 3s?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm confused by most of your ingredients too. If you plan to feed this as his main diet, it seems far from balanced...
I have no first hand experience of mange, but research tells me that most fillers and grains are best avoided - you seem to have a lot of these.

Why not go for a more natural raw diet? My lot thrive on chicken/duck wings, necks and carcasses, minced tripe, whole fish, beef/lamb/venison ribs and chunks and various offal (spleen, liver etc). If you dont want to go down that route, I'm fairly certain you could pick up a variety of minces (possibly including offal and/or bone) that would be better than your current selection.

Personally, I'd probably start out with minced chicken carcass and minced tripe, possibly with a bit of liver once or twice a week (standard raw ratio is 80:10:10 meat: bone: offal), with the supplements like egg, coconut oil, salmon oil, manuka honey, possibly herb mix powder etc added too (obviously new things introduced slowly, one at a time)

·
Registered
126 Posts
You didn't mention if this was a young puppy or adult. If it is a young puppy, DM is common and you don't need to do anything special.

If this is an adult, your dog should be under the care of a vet because DM in an adult can be a sign of a serious underlying illness.

Nothing more than a good dry or canned food is required. Medical care is more important.

DM is caused by a weakened immune system in an adult.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about organs?

Why are you adding molasses, cereal, oatmeal, wheat germ, canola oil and unflavored gelatin?

I have never heard of potatos being immune boosting.

How about adding some fish or fish oil for omega 3s?

I got that recipe from an AKC Champion Frenchie Breeder, so I thought she knew what she was doing (since hers obviously looked amazing). I got a breakdown of the following on the ingredients you asked about:

Sweet Potato: Natural Lysine in it (I read somewhere they should be getting lysine to help with mange).

Total Multi-grain cereal: Vitamin content

Oatmeal: High in Protein

Wheat Germ: Contains folate, vitamin B1 (thiamin) and vitamin B6

Unflavored Gelatin: Helps with joints

Im going to the grocery today to pick up some sardines to start adding to her meals.

I'm confused by most of your ingredients too. If you plan to feed this as his main diet, it seems far from balanced...
I have no first hand experience of mange, but research tells me that most fillers and grains are best avoided - you seem to have a lot of these.

Why not go for a more natural raw diet? My lot thrive on chicken/duck wings, necks and carcasses, minced tripe, whole fish, beef/lamb/venison ribs and chunks and various offal (spleen, liver etc). If you dont want to go down that route, I'm fairly certain you could pick up a variety of minces (possibly including offal and/or bone) that would be better than your current selection.

Personally, I'd probably start out with minced chicken carcass and minced tripe, possibly with a bit of liver once or twice a week (standard raw ratio is 80:10:10 meat: bone: offal), with the supplements like egg, coconut oil, salmon oil, manuka honey, possibly herb mix powder etc added too (obviously new things introduced slowly, one at a time)
I think I was just on a mange-binge last night so I was feeling super overwhelmed with all the information I read that I didnt even realize the whole "Grain" thing. I do plan on eliminating the oatmeal, wheat germ, molasses, potato and the total cereal from her diet completely and substitute with offal/lamb (since shes already on beef atm). I got her on 85% fat raw hamburger beef, idk if that makes a difference?

She is allergic to poultry so I do plan to stay away from chicken and turkey.

I've also read somewhere that goats milk yogurt would help boost her immune system, they said to give a teaspoon everyday to help. Would anyone say this is accurate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your recipe is not balanced and has a lot of unnecessary ingredients.

http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html

Here's a good starting guide to prey model raw. You can add supplements such as omega-3 oils, and coconut oil to improve his skin.

Thank you so much for this. I'm making my list now and heading to the grocery as soon as I get done with this read.

You didn't mention if this was a young puppy or adult. If it is a young puppy, DM is common and you don't need to do anything special.

If this is an adult, your dog should be under the care of a vet because DM in an adult can be a sign of a serious underlying illness.

Nothing more than a good dry or canned food is required. Medical care is more important.

That's right, I didn't notice T-T But shes 6 years old. Her immune system was down because she got really bad seasonal allergies this year. Once her allergies went away, she broke out with this. I'm doing a selsun blue bath every other day for 2 weeks (its supposed to help kill the mange) + changing her diet to something more appropriate to help overall. I had her on dry grain-free food before I switched to this recipe and neither of them seemed to help the mange so Im looking into doing a raw diet in hopes of helping.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I highly, highly recommend picking up Monica Segal's K9 Kitchen book (link below). This book has dogs' daily nutrition requirements by the National Research Council and formulas and recipes on how to make your own balanced raw, cooked or combination food.

And surprisingly, I agree with this:

Except I would continue a homemade diet once you have all your information straight on how to put one together that's healthy and balanced.

Seriously this book is amazing http://www.monicasegal.com/K9Kitchen_The_Truth_Behind_The-Hype.html

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
This is just my own gut instinct and (probably over-) cautiousness, but I would be leery of feeding uncooked, possibly bacteria-laden meat to an immunosuppressed dog that has already been affected by something that healthy dogs easily defend against (demodex). Perhaps a balanced homemade cooked diet rather than a raw one.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
This is just my own gut instinct and (probably over-) cautiousness, but I would be leery of feeding uncooked, possibly bacteria-laden meat to an immunosuppressed dog that has already been affected by something that healthy dogs easily defend against (demodex). Perhaps a balanced homemade cooked diet rather than a raw one.
Well raw meat carries as much bacteria as kibble, so not much difference there. I guess the only thing I would do different if a dog has demodex is add lots of probiotics.

But home-cooked, if properly balanced, is certainly an option :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts