Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’m kind of confused currently.

The family dog, a scottish terrier mix was fed Nutro dog food, until a few months ago when someone bought her new food and got rid of the bag. Shortly after, she developed allergies and a mild bacterial skin infection. We switched her back to Nutro, but have since switched to Stella and Chewy’s and now raw food. She’s only been eating raw for a week or two, and since we have leftover kibble I’ve been giving her kibble in the morning and raw in the evenings.

Around the same time she’s become very itchy and scratches almost nonstop sometimes. She has been slowly kicking her fur out and it pains me to see her so itchy. So I was wondering if she could be allergic to raw food?

Her skin may be a bit dry as we live on the coast and the humidity here is pretty high all year round, but since it’s been getting colder we’ve turned the heater on and that may cause skin to dry out. It’s super humid outside but quite dry inside. I’m wondering if the weather could be the cause, or the food.

I will be taking her to the vet soon, but she was there last month for a bacterial infection that wouldn’t go away so I need to wait a bit financially atm.

Anyone heard of dogs being allergic to raw? Or could it be the weather or returning bacterial infection?

Her skin is a bit red with some small bumps and some areas have yellowy flakey skin and some dandruff. I’ve sprayed some ACV mixed with water and it seems to help a bit, she’s finally asleep and not scratching constantly. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Of course she could be allergic to one of the proteins in the raw food. It could be any number of things causing this. Food allergies are less common than environmental ones though.

If she was in good shape on the first kibble then go back to that one. Sure raw is supposed to be better than dry and some kibbles are supposed to be better than others but when it comes right down to it the best food is the one that works. Max, my first raw fed dog, stopped tolerating raw late in life. I cooked for him and he was content with that.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Mesa, who is raw fed, got stinky and itchy during the summer. We couldn't see any rash but her skin smelled like a teenager's gym locker. I took her to the vet who thought it may have been a food allergy. We cut out beef and she stopped being stinky. We're pretty convinced she has a beef allergy. Apparently chicken and beef are very common allergic proteins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts