Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep hearing people say salmon from the pacific coast [i live in washington..in the puget sound, no less!] should never be given to dogs uncooked.

something about a parasite and bacteria together causing a big problem. does anyone have specific information about this? what are the odds of a fish making my grain-free, healthy-as-a-horse, year-old pup sick?

im curious because my husband is native, so if we really wanted to, we could go fish enough fish to feed my dog raw pretty much all summer. the cool thing about fish is that we can go to the sound, get a fish, and give it to the dog with little to no refrigeration. i cant feed raw otherwise because i have nowhere to store raw meat [im currently living in a 5th wheel, and as nice as it is, the fridge is tiny!]
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wonder why dogs are the only ones effected by the poisoning? and it doesnt mention how often it occurs. or what temperature the parasite is killed.

and i wouldnt feed just fish and nothing else for the whole summer! but one fish a day wouldnt hurt, would it? theres salmon-based kibble out there, thats pretty similar.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont know how big the fish would be, as ive never gone fishing before! lol but i will keep the larger fish for my husband and i and give winston the smaller ones. he is about 50-55 lbs and a lab/border collie mix.

i love the puget sound, i couldnt imagine not living by water! i just wish winston liked to swim. hes kind of afraid of water.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top