Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep hearing people say salmon from the pacific coast [i live in washington..in the puget sound, no less!] should never be given to dogs uncooked.

something about a parasite and bacteria together causing a big problem. does anyone have specific information about this? what are the odds of a fish making my grain-free, healthy-as-a-horse, year-old pup sick?

im curious because my husband is native, so if we really wanted to, we could go fish enough fish to feed my dog raw pretty much all summer. the cool thing about fish is that we can go to the sound, get a fish, and give it to the dog with little to no refrigeration. i cant feed raw otherwise because i have nowhere to store raw meat [im currently living in a 5th wheel, and as nice as it is, the fridge is tiny!]

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wonder why dogs are the only ones effected by the poisoning? and it doesnt mention how often it occurs. or what temperature the parasite is killed.

and i wouldnt feed just fish and nothing else for the whole summer! but one fish a day wouldnt hurt, would it? theres salmon-based kibble out there, thats pretty similar.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i wonder why dogs are the only ones effected by the poisoning? and it doesnt mention how often it occurs. or what temperature the parasite is killed.

and i wouldnt feed just fish and nothing else for the whole summer! but one fish a day wouldnt hurt, would it? theres salmon-based kibble out there, thats pretty similar.
One salmon a day from the NW would hurt yes. Salmon based kibble contains many things other than salmon.

Most places i have read say -35f for a minimum of 12 days. I do minimum of 28 days.

I have no idea how big your dog is or what size fish you plan on catching but the salmon we catch here are huge.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
As others have said, you must deep freeze for at least a couple weeks, then it is safe to feed.

Wild salmon is low in mercury so you don't need to worry about that. It's Atlantic salmon and farmed salmon that tend to be very high in mercury.

How big are your dogs, and how big are the fish? The guideline for raw feeding is to feed 2-3% of their ideal weight per day. My 40lb dogs get less than 1lb per day. Feeding too much in one sitting is setting your dog up for tummy troubles.

P.S. I love the Puget Sound.. my grandparents lived on Whidbey Island.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I would definitely want to feed my dog fresh cooked salmon as part of his diet but definitely not more than 25% of it unless you want to go the distance and add in all the minerals a cooked salmon diet is missing. Generally you can substitute 25% of unbalanced fresh food for kibble calories without messing up the nutritional balance. Salmon is about 100 calories per 3 ounces. And definitely do NOT feed that fish raw since you are smack dab in the zone where that horrible parasite is found.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
How big are your dogs, and how big are the fish? The guideline for raw feeding is to feed 2-3% of their ideal weight per day. My 40lb dogs get less than 1lb per day. Feeding too much in one sitting is setting your dog up for tummy troubles.

P.S. I love the Puget Sound.. my grandparents lived on Whidbey Island.
We have never caught anything under 8lbs and most are 15-20lbs+.

Just depends on what you are catching.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know how big the fish would be, as ive never gone fishing before! lol but i will keep the larger fish for my husband and i and give winston the smaller ones. he is about 50-55 lbs and a lab/border collie mix.

i love the puget sound, i couldnt imagine not living by water! i just wish winston liked to swim. hes kind of afraid of water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts