Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Im just starting this thread in the hope that someone could give me ideas on how to get organs into my dogs raw diet. They will eat anything from chicken frames to green tripe and necks, however they will not touch the main types of raw organ (kidney/liver etc). The only organ they will eat is their dehydrated liver training treats.So basically:

1) Any good ideas on covering up organs? Ive tried cutting it tiny and mixing it with flavours they love (but they know it's in there).
2) What other organs can I try? Does the heart count as an organ or muscle meat (Ive seen conflicting info)?

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Have you tried making cooked liver bread? Since I always made liver bread and it was a huge deal to get to lick the bowl and eat the crumbs on the baking pan and the treats themselves were rewards for good dogs they loved liver from the start.

I stopped making the bread as Max doesn't do well on grains so Ginger had to go raw and cold. Since Max adores organ I just put a very small amount into the dish and if she ate it fine, if not Max got it. She wouldn't touch it for a few days and mouthed it for a few more then started to chew and finally swallowed a piece. Kidney was harder. Her final attempt was to roll on it and that worked. Rolled on kidney could be eaten and it has been easy going since.

From that experience I would just continue to put a tiny bit of liver into the dish and if they eat it fine, if not maybe tomorrow. Basically treating it like starting raw with a cat. Likely you will see them sniffing at it first then maybe in a couple days licking it and so on. Making some liver bread would get them used to the smell of the raw liver in the house.

You only need about 5 ounces of liver especially since the more often you make this the better. Puree in a blender with a small clove of garlic and an egg. Dump into a bowl with about a cup of flour and mix into a stiff dough. Add more flour if needed. Scrape onto a very well greased cookie sheet and spread into a thin layer. Bake at 350*F until baked through, 15-20 minutes for a cooked dough type treat. You can run a pizza cutter through and bake again until crisp if you like but I liked cutting into a strip and pinching off bits as training treats.

The bowl can be offered as a snack, the rinse water from the blender as well. Once they like the blender water which is mostly liver they will be fine on raw liver as far as taste. You might be able to make up raw liver soup for them at that point and put some into the food bowl. Then you might be able to leave it chunkier in time. Feeding it frozen helps with the weird texture, could try that.

What a process! Some people just make up the dinner, put it on the counter, get the organ of the day out, pill the dog with the organ then the dog gets fed.

Heads have eyes and brains which count as organs but you still need liver.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Why not buy a pre-made of some kind and hide finely sliced organ in there? That's what I have to do with coconut oil (yea I know- the only dog in the world that HATES coconut oil).

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I'm still working on this myself having started a partial raw diet about 6-7 weeks ago. The first meal with a full weeks serving of liver he ate everything else, licked the yogurt off the chicken liver but didn't eat it. I cut it up into smaller bites and lightly sauted it in olive oil, mixed it up with some more yogurt and he ate it. Repeated close to the same thing a few days later with pork kidney. The next week I started the chicken liver already but into bite sized bits mixed with yogurt and he just ate it right up. Tonight is the second serving of kidney so I'll see how that goes. Plan to do the same as the liver for earlier in the week and hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Some things to try.

1) Try offering it more frozen. Neither of my huskies liked thawed, squishy, slimy, bloody organs at first and would only eat them semi-frozen.

2) Hide it in other meat. Cut tiny pieces about the size of your pinky fingernail and hide it in ground/chopped meat.

3) Cook it. Boil it until it's cooked through. Each time you cook it, cook it less and less and less and less until they'll eat it raw. You can also try searing the outside. Get a pan really hot first then drop the organ in so it sizzles and browns quickly. Searing can help bring out a good smell (good to your dogs, cooking organs is smelly).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts