Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at the grocery store today and i saw some meat on sale for really cheap. it said "reduced for quick sale, cook or freeze today". will this be ok to feed iorek? there were some kind of steaks and lots of ground beef. since i live in a VERY small town i was told that i will see sales like that often. if i can get meat at a cheap price like that i would love to buy it for him :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Absolutely! I live for those little stickers. LOL

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Yep, it's fine. Dogs can handle meat past it's "due date"....much more tolerante than humans are.

·
Registered
54 Posts
sorry to intrude...

how long before the meat isn't good for a dog? If you bought the "past due" meat and froze it how long before you can feed it in raw diet? Will freezer burn hurt your dog? Or do you need to cook it first?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Freezer burn does not hurt your dog at all. They don't even seem to notice.

As far as the meat not being good for the dog, one of my "mentors" says she feeds some pretty disgusting meat to her dogs and has never had a problem. The way she described it, (gross alert!) she only washes it if it's slimy or flies have laid eggs on it. Then she feeds it. So, I think the line is pretty far beyond what I would consider "bad". As long as it wasn't putrid smelling, I think I'd feed it. It's up to you, of course.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The first bag of pork ribs I opened a couple months ago was too large, I should have cut it into bits and back into the freezer but I didn't. I fed every last bit which took a week. The last couple days it was slimy and smelled so I washed it with dishwashing soap and water. Got rid of the smell and slime. Never turned color or anything interesting like that. Second bag I defrosted I cut into bits and refroze most of it. Didn't bother Max a bit and he is quite a finicky dog.

Watch out for the marked down food. I bought some hamburger and ended up tossing it. Smell it before buying! I suspect my bad meat had been found on the shelf unrefrigerated, marked down and put back in the refrigerator. That is the only time I ever have had a problem though. I always check to see if there is anything there but $4 steaks. If it is fine when it goes in the freezer it is fine coming out of the freezer, don't worry about that.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
The only thing I do differently with "mark down" meat is to come home and portion it before freezing. As some others have mentioned, pulling that meat out and having it defrosted while feeding over a few days can be a little dicey. So I portion it out for just one day's meal so I only defrost enough for one day.

But heck, that's how I get most of my dogs' meat. And I've had some good luck with posting on craigslist late summer / early fall...just before deer season. People cleaning out their freezers...my dogs don't care if it's been in there a year and is freezer burned. I've even had people call me that were just cleaning out their regular freezer and come across stuff they're going to toss otherwise. I've been able to use everything I've gotten so far.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is a good idea about portioning it. i got a bunch of chicken thighs on sale last weekend and i did that before i froze them too.

i live in a VERY small town and there is no craigslist here but i have my friends and their families checking their freezers for freezer burnt moose meat. my friend said her dad has a lot in his freezer. i was really worried about feeing iorek here in a small town but it is turning out a lot easier than i thought it would! when i lived in halifax it was only very rarely that i could get things like turkey necks in the stores, but here i can get turkey necks, legs, wings, thighs, all of it! and i can get liver for super cheap. and right now they have frozen whole chickens on sale fore 1.99/lb! that is a great price for chicken around here. i am liking it more and more here :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts