Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

121 - 140 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Well, I put down a tarp next to my desk so I can keep an eye on her while working. She's been gingerly working at a wing and some other miscellaneous bits of meat and bone for about an hour. The wing is all that's left and it certainly seems puzzling to her. When she gives up I guess I'll save it for later today.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well, I put down a tarp next to my desk so I can keep an eye on her while working. She's been gingerly working at a wing and some other miscellaneous bits of meat and bone for about an hour. The wing is all that's left and it certainly seems puzzling to her. When she gives up I guess I'll save it for later today.
she doesn't get the choice. she gets 20 minutes. if she doesn't eat, pick it up. serve it at the next meal.

she won't starve. hungry dogs don't starve. if you cater to her now, she will rule you for the rest of her life. i can promise you that.

as long as she is hydrated, she can go for days without eating. it sounds horrid, i know...and it was a nail biter for sure, but i'm glad i listened to my mentor for my dogs eat what i give them.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
she doesn't get the choice. she gets 20 minutes. if she doesn't eat, pick it up. serve it at the next meal.

she won't starve. hungry dogs don't starve. if you cater to her now, she will rule you for the rest of her life. i can promise you that.

as long as she is hydrated, she can go for days without eating. it sounds horrid, i know...and it was a nail biter for sure, but i'm glad i listened to my mentor for my dogs eat what i give them.
Point taken. Say goodbye to your chicken wing Sydney. ;p

·
Registered
500 Posts
conker is a problem child with raw?

we have an oregon washington co op.....if you want, i'll post it or i'll pm it to you. we buy in bulk ...although you do have willamette valley meats and probably a gadzillion organic farmers around...

may i ask why you serve heart ground?
Conker is a problem with any food right now. He was uber picky as a puppy, then decided all food was amazing and worthy of being eaten for a while, and now he's back to being picky again (this started before it got hot, so heat is not to blame). Most of the time he will not eat a full raw meal, only bits or will outright refuse it altogether. I have no issue feeding him kibble short-term (the other two eat kibble the vast majority of the time), I'd prefer not to, but at this point, he gets what he'll eat. I can't do the "tough love" thing with him since he WILL refuse to eat food for longer than a week, and if he goes five days without food he begins to lose weight. Every time. At this point, I do not care about making him eat the raw food, I care about him keeping weight on so he gets the dang kibbles.
(Don't bother trying to convince me to try tough love again right now. I ain't a fan of abusing my skinny dog.)

Conker goes through phases where he will or won't eat something in a certain form. Right now, any chunked meat other than steak (marinated, lightly grilled, almost raw, is how I like my steaks) is a no no with him, so everything except bone-in items gets ground. I am fully aware that grinding heart can deplete the taurine, I also know that it takes way the mental benefit of chewing up meat, but I really don't care and that is not why I feed raw. I do it since I think it's the best diet for my dogs that I can offer, even if it's only part-time for the other two. My other two dogs don't even chew their stuff anyways, just a quick crunch or two and it's gone, no matter how big is it, so serving raw whole, ground, or chunked, is no different with them.

Thanks for the offer on the co-op. I am in like, way southern Oregon, and unfortunately don't have a big freezer. If I did, I'd take you up on that, but I've got no more room for meat right now. My little fridgetop freezer is packed.

BTW, if I seem a bit defensive, I'm not. That's just my writing style and sometimes it can come off as a bit blunt/harsh.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Well I tried again outside and she ate the wing right away. So I think she was more confused by the whole tarp situation (I kept moving it when you took it off of the tarp) than actually resistance towards eating it. I'm actually surprised how quickly she's picking up on it.

As for the tarp, I think I'm going to buy a bunch of fleece to have her eat on inside instead once I move and have a washer/dryer so I can keep it sanitary. She is not a fan of the crinkly sound the tarp makes. Until it's too cold out she can probably just eat outside. I'm also looking at getting a used chest freezer. I've found several relatively cheap on craigslist, but I have to make sure they will fit in the basement first. Then I can start accumulating things in bulk/on sale.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Roxie is now up to eating it like there's no tomorrow as long as I hold it, which is really super exciting to me! /grins I found a place where I can get whole fish frozen so I don't have to worry about organ meat as much either if I can get her to eat the fish, if I decide I want to do all raw.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Well, I wasn't intending to get into this quite yet, but I bought a whole chicken today. I have to say I was not prepared by how disgusted I would be while cutting it up. I hadn't really thought about the necessity of breaking bones and I didn't really have any clue how to butcher a chicken. So I mostly just hacked away in the most logical way I could figure, trying to get eight relatively even cuts (she'll be getting half a pound a day and the chicken was four pounds). Anyway, I think I got through it pretty well for my first time. ;p

Anyway, can anyone tell me what the organs there are here? I'm thinking the thing the far left is actually the neck, right? Then the blob is probably the liver, and the two roundish ones are kidneys? Hearts? Something else?

Haha, honestly, I was the exact same way the first time i Had to butcher a whole a chicken...and then I had to do a rabbit.. I honestly had no clue what I was doing, but I just dove in and chopped those babies up to the best of my ability, and portioned it out accordingly.. it does get easier with time. What I ended up doing though, is carving out everything but the 'body' of the carcass, I cut the necks, legs, and most of the 'meat' off the carcass and left the 'internals' as is, then I bagged the bodies separately, and fed them as a meal on their own, I put the remaining carcass outside, let Thumper go at it for a bit, then let Cash have a few nibbles, until they've had thier fill of it, or finished it. It was just easier that way than me trying to gut the animals. Way to go though! You are definitely making some progress, good for you!

So new dog food order came in on Sunday.. I found myself in a bit of a pickle..I was a little surprised when my order was $110 as opposed to the $75 I thought it was going to be. Well, I thought I had ordered only ONE duck, but turns out they percieved it to be one BAG of ducks.. so I got 6. I have to spend my evening butchering a few of these up as they will not all fit in my little apartment sized freezer with the rest of the dog food LOL. needless to say, My dogs are going to be eating a lot of duck for the remainder of the summer. These are BIG ducks too.. much, much bigger than chickens. Along with duck carcasses, I also still have a gazillion duck necks in the freezer still, and with the new order dogs will be also eating a lot of turkey organs/gizzards/hearts, sheep/lamb organs, including the throats, beef heart, beef kidney and bison tripe (I ordered elk tripe, but unfortunately they ran out by the time they filled my order)

ducks.jpg

first time is always icky.

as time goes by, though, not only do you get the hang of it, the cleaver, mallet, and carving knife will sing in your hands....:)

i know, for my dogs, going to a raw fed diet was a challenge at best, frustrating to the hilt. if anyone could have done things wrong, including being servant to my masters, i did it.

fortunately, it got old very quickly and i learned the tough love thing.....and i learned to stop humanising my dogs when it came to food.

i think packmomma, i need to see your facebook page. :) can you pm me your facebook name? i have a bunch of raw feeders as friends and we are constantly looking at pics...

plus there are a few facebook forums that can be quite helpful to the new or the interested person who thinks they might want to go this route.
Yep I'll PM ya. Its nothing crazy, I just started teh album recently, I dont know any other raw feeders so I'm alone with this as far as my FB world goes so I have no body else except what i see and learn here to go from, but atleast I seem to be sparking some interest with a few people, and I am by far no expert at this yet.. but its coming along slowly and surely!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Here's a raw meal from today.

Big bowls: Chicken backs, ground beef heart, green tripe, lamb liver, beef thymus, pork fat.
Little bowl: Chicken back, ground pork, ground beef heart, green tripe, lamb liver, canned fishes.

Conker did not eat his raw food (as usual) so that got put back into the freezer for a later day.
I am noticing that Cash is becoming a picky eater these days, he's always kinda been this way on and off, but its becoming more frequent he chooses not to eat some meals. Maybe I am just feeding too much though, I'm not sure. I'm slowly trying to cut down his portions each day to see if it helps, but I think I might have to put him onto once a day feeding, because he will usually eat one meal, then he wont eat the next. This is particularily the case with the premade raw, he's just not all that interested in it somedays, and will usually only eat it if Thumper finishes his bowl and goes for Cash's bowl, then he will start to eat, then walk away and guard it. Then I take it away for a few minutes, and he stares at me like "WTH? Gimme my food!". Then I put it down and he reluctantly forces himself to eat it otherwise he knows I take it away. He opted out of breakfast this morning, which was premade raw (its just easier on weekday mornings). I dunno what his deal is, but he's certainly not starving and I think I might just have to try once a day feeding, and cut him down to about 5 or 6 ounces a day. When I do two feedings per day, he probably ends up getting closer to the 6-8 ounces. He will eat any prey model though, doesn't matter what itis or the portion he won't refuse it, although sometimes he still seems to eat it reluctantly, then other times he acts like a starving beast and wolfs it down. But i'm beginning to think that he's just eating what he needs and the rest he just isn't that hungry, He's definitely not the type of dog that will eat himself to death, when he's had enough he's had enough, i coudl leave a raw meal out al day and he won't touch it unless he's hungry. So hopefully its just a sign that I might be giving him too much and he's satisfied with a small meal each evening, and for his age and activity level I think one 5 ounce meal a day will work. Hopefully.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Well she ate it all like a champ today! It's amazing how quickly she's learning! And she left most of it in the bowl while she ate, and only moved the leg piece just outside of the bowl so all I had to do was wipe down the floor in that general area. I'm still amazed at how clean it is.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Well she ate it all like a champ today! It's amazing how quickly she's learning! And she left most of it in the bowl while she ate, and only moved the leg piece just outside of the bowl so all I had to do was wipe down the floor in that general area. I'm still amazed at how clean it is.
most excellent news :)

we just use a towel and taught ours to stay on the towel. in all truth, the bowls are for me, because i like them. :)

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
This is for the cats. We are on vacation right now and I needed to get at least 2 weeks worth of food packaged up for them as they stay with a sitter. Thank goodness the sitter is willing to put up with yucky raw! Gross!!
On the top is chicken hearts & gizzards, chicken thigh filets, and chopped pork shoulder. Bottom is moose (it's ground but frozen so I shaved slices off as it defrosted), beef kidney, beef liver, and 3 sardines sliced up (no heads or tails, dogs ate those as the cats won't and I wanted it the least gross as possible for the sitter). I mixed it all up in a big bowl. Total is about 12-13lbs which should be more than enough. They aren't getting much bone, just a little with the sardine, but I didn't want to make the sitter give chicken wings or whole mice. They'll be fine for the couple weeks. Took me over an hour to chop everything up into little pieces! I typically leave things a little bigger but for the sake of the sitter I wanted to make it all small.

Also, WHY DO PEOPLE STARE AT ME AND MY CART IN THE GROCERY STORE?!?! I mean, hearts & gizzards and beef hearts and pork arm roasts aren't THAT weird, are they?? :wink:

Those were *huge* beef hearts.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
she's a real character, isn't she?
She's something. xD I'll work on the towel thing.

Determining subject's edibility.

Seems ok...

OMNOM CHICKEN NECK

Two things: my husband looked at a few pictures and I doubt we'll ever be doing prey model here. Second, dog # 105, Ellie....what the heck is she eating?
Looks like the head of a goat to me. Can't say I'm eager to feed things like that either. ;p

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
look at Sydney eating chicken, go girl!
I remember people recommending chicken wings and necks as dental chews for small dogs. They must have meant more like toy breeds because once she got the hang of it both were gone in about 30 seconds flat. :p

121 - 140 of 394 Posts