Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

661 - 680 of 693 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm still adjusting my meals with Kirito... I'm so used to feeding ferrets and cats that I'm having issues finding the appropriate bone amount with Kirito.

Once a day (it varies between morning and evening) I feed some kind of poultry... Usually its bone-in chicken (leg/thigh quarters, breasts, backs, chicken feet)... Several times a week its ground turkey/turkey necks... Occasionally I throw in chicken heart and/or livers, but I usually need the chicken hearts for my ferrets.

For the other meal he gets one of the following:

Pork heart
Pork spleen and liver (he gets one organ meal a week)
Pork meat with bone
Pork ribs/riblets
Pork neck/neckbone
Pork chops

Salmon (usually just canned salmon since its easy and cooking doesn't really alter fish)
Mackerel
Tilapia
Whiting

Ground beef
beef liver (he hates beef liver though.... and it breaks me out)
Beef tongue (He rarely gets this since its so expensive)
Beef kidney (this is included with the organ meal when I can get it.. the store doesn't always have it)

Whole eggs

He never gets any vegetables, fruit, grains... or anything non-meat.
I'd feed tripe if I had access to green tripe... I have yet to find it in stores and I can't do an online order until I get a chest freezer.

Whenever I get a chest freezer he'll also get deer.. There have been several freshly killed deer that I've found beside the road that I've wanted... but I couldn't get them because I don't have space.

He also apparently enjoys whole rabbits... :l I may get these for him in the future.. I may not... All I know is it will take me quite a while before I would be able to give him one.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
He is new to raw, aim for just one bony meal a day in a couple of months. Dog freezer was my best birthday present ever a few years back!

Ginger's diet is boring but she doesn't seem to mind. Right now she is working on meaty bones from a whole chicken we humans ate so getting just
1/4 Bony chicken
3/4 Beef grind that includes liver, kidney and green tripe

·
Registered
297 Posts
McGee is about 1 month into raw feeding and he is doing great!! I do have a question though...Typically I feed him all of the meat frozen because I do not want to deal with thawing it out and rotating...So, is it ok that it is being served frozen??? Thank you!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It's that hard to keep a little tub in the refrigerator? I pack in 1-3 day packets at the moment and have little tubs for the meat to stay in the frig.

It can be okay for some dogs. If he gets tummy aches then it is possible the cold food upsets him. I've read that hard frozen can break teeth but you would know if he was chewing too hard. Some people won't even give dogs ice cubes as it is hard on teeth to get cold like that.

On topic,

This week dogs have had
chicken feet
organ blend
ostrich liver
rabbit/chicken/organ blend/stomach grass
ostrich trim
beef trim
egg

I'm getting a packet of venison bone/trim out for tomorrow.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's that hard to keep a little tub in the refrigerator? I pack in 1-3 day packets at the moment and have little tubs for the meat to stay in the frig.

It can be okay for some dogs. If he gets tummy aches then it is possible the cold food upsets him. I've read that hard frozen can break teeth but you would know if he was chewing too hard. Some people won't even give dogs ice cubes as it is hard on teeth to get cold like that.

On topic,

This week dogs have had
chicken feet
organ blend
ostrich liver
rabbit/chicken/organ blend/stomach grass
ostrich trim
beef trim
egg

I'm getting a packet of venison bone/trim out for tomorrow.
Ah, good point. I will think of something that is easy peezy to deal with.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have two questions:
After receiving meat from the butcher, do you freeze the meat for a few weeks before letting them eat it?
I just received turkey necks, and didn't realize how large they were! For a 75 pound dog, is 1 whole turkey neck a good rmb?
Thank you!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Max said turkey necks were the best RMB ever. I gave him half at a time partly because I seldom found them, partly because they are so bony. The huge pound sized ones were enough bone for a week, ~50% bone means 8 ounces of bone and 38 pound Max got an ounce of bone a day. So he got that nice big bone with organ for the other meal of the day, next day boneless meat and day after usually little bone like whole fish or chicken foot so diet was roughly balanced for 3 days. The neck took him about 20 minutes to eat, a satisfying meal but not particularly interesting one like pork neck or pelvis or shoulder bone or short rack of beef ribs which can take an hour to clean and gnaw.

I never freeze first. Doubt my home freezer gets cold enough and most meat is frozen before sale anyway. Most of the dog meat comes frozen at the moment anyway. I pack the thawed meat into 2-3 day packets, label and freeze. You probably could use bins as you are feeding 3x the dog pounds I feed but the pound packets I make up are better just wrapped in foil. The packets never come out even, each meal I weigh to see if there is enough for another meal and either get out another packet or just add an egg to make the weight needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Frozen meat is a pain in the ass to cut through, so when I get it from the butcher I cut it up into pieces and put some in baggies to last him that day's breakfast and dinner and the next days breakfast and dinner. Then when he gets his dinner from his last saved baggie that's thawed, I take some from the freezer outside and put it in the fridge to thaw for morning breakfast and repeat.

He likes to chew on frozen meat so sometimes I freeze strips and give them as snacks through the day, especially if it's an active day like hiking or swimming and I know he will use a lot of energy and will need a mid day snack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My husband brought home a 6 week old shih tzu puppy yesterday. I'm trying to feed everyone raw for the first time this week. I gave the puppy some chicken breast. I gave the pug two drumsticks and the german shepherd I gave 1/4 of a whole chicken. They all seemed to like it. I just want to make sure I'm feeding enough. Also since the puppy is so tiny I wasn't sure what is ok for her.

·
Registered
265 Posts
McGee is about 1 month into raw feeding and he is doing great!! I do have a question though...Typically I feed him all of the meat frozen because I do not want to deal with thawing it out and rotating...So, is it ok that it is being served frozen??? Thank you!
I feed one dog frozen, he has problems with thawed meat. He doesn't like the texture and will most of the time throw it back up if it's thawed. He loves liver but will only eat it frozen. He'll try to eat it thawed, but keep spitting it out. I feed the others thawed though. I worry about them getting too cold in the winter, my basset hound will shiver if he eats frozen in it's cool out. I wouldn't feed anything larger than chicken bones frozen though, I'd be afraid of a chipped tooth.

My husband brought home a 6 week old shih tzu puppy yesterday. I'm trying to feed everyone raw for the first time this week. I gave the puppy some chicken breast. I gave the pug two drumsticks and the german shepherd I gave 1/4 of a whole chicken. They all seemed to like it. I just want to make sure I'm feeding enough. Also since the puppy is so tiny I wasn't sure what is ok for her.
Aim for about 2-3% of your adult dogs ideal body weight to feed daily. Small dogs eat more, up to 5% of their ideal body weight. For a puppy you can feed 10% of their current body weight or 4-5% of their expected adult body weight. With that each dog will vary, and it's only a starting point. Some dogs need more, some dogs need less. My 75lb GSD use to eat large chicken leg quarter a day. The calculations suggest she eat 1.5 lbs, but that was way too much for her, she ate less than a pound a day. Same for my dane, she eats less than 2lbs a day and is looking great. My lab/pointer has a higher metabolism and can eat a bit more, but still less than 2% of his ideal body weight. I don't weigh food anymore, I've been raw feeding for over 10 years. I look at my dogs and see how they are doing and base what they get off that. When we are more active they eat more. In the heat of summer they eat less, Vegas(lab/pointer) by choice.
Get a scale and weight the food for the first few months so you get a feel for what the food weighs. Watch your dogs and increase or decrease as needed. I personally would feed lighter in the beginning to let their bodies adjust. Loose stools or runs are common in the beginning, also overfeeding can cause loose stools. You can also feed a bit more bone, if needed to firm things up.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Agree, a scale is pretty essential when starting out and I still need it after feeding fresh food for 8 years, raw for 7. Lumps and strips are hard for me to estimate weight!

You did good, chicken breast has tiny bones for a tiny pup, a quarter was a good size for a large dog and drumsticks are likely about the right amount for the pug. If you weighed the bits likely pug was a bit overfed and GSD a bit underfed is all. Now is the interesting part, the poop. The first couple are moderated by kibble in the gut so don't get cocky! If you see loose poop first remove skin from the following meal. If that doesn't help enough then feed bonier meats as in a couple of deskinned wings or the back. I prefer to feed the small jointed bits of chicken rather than the long bones at first because Max didn't seem to digest them as well so if you still don't think poop is good enough to move to another protein then drop the long leg boned pieces for now and offer up backs, ribs and necks according to the dog's size. No chicken necks for the GSD!

·
Registered
265 Posts
My GSD could eat chicken necks, but she wasn't a gulper and it's was a know thy dog type thing. I wouldn't recommend to people starting out to try chicken necks for a larger dog. And Speaking of the long bones harder to digest. My Great Dane, when she was younger ate a chicken thigh, whole. Gulp and down. She pooped out a whole, intact thigh bone. She had no problems passing it, but it was a shock. Now she chews her food, at least like a dog. Crunch crunch gone.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So, I want to make sure that I am doing the math right for my dog. He is doing incredibly well on the raw diet, and we have not really had any issues whatsoever!
70lb*.03 = 2.1 pounds food/day...I average 1 pound per meal for simplicity sake
2 pounds = 32 ounces total per day
32*.10=3.2 ounces of bone and 3.2 ounces of organ per day...The rest is muscle meat.
AM meals: bones and organs (I want to get bones done in a single meal, because it stresses me out big time!!)
2 Chicken thighs
3-4 ounces of organs-liver/spleen/kidney...
The rest I add chicken feet and some muscle meat.

PM: Muscle Meat
Chicken meat, venison, tripe, turkey, sardines, eggs...etccc

Lastly, can someone help me better understand this 1:1 ratio...I am having a difficult time with understanding it. Take for example, in the morning he gets the 2 chicken thighs and organs...But then I usually add a little bit more muscle meat so that it adds up to 1 pound...Does that mean the phosphorous level would be too high? Maybe I am thinking too much into this.,,

I have a hunting relative who is going to hook me up with a 5 foot tall freezer full of venison and turkey parts woohoo I am SO THANKFUL!! He is going to save me a TON of money and stress.
Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Just keep in mind 3% is a lot for a good sized dog, if he gets fat or stool gets sloppy try feeding a bit less food. You don't have to make each meal exactly the same size either. When you pack up your meat make up 1-3 day sized packets and feed bits accordingly. I discovered Max, who had trouble with boneless days, did great if he ate bony stuff+organ+boneless meat=12 ounces one day and the following day he got 8 ounces of boneless meat. And I weighed forever otherwise his rations would move up to 12 ounces and he'd get sloppy stool.

Chicken feet have lots of bone in them. Use on days when he isn't getting much bone as when you are attempting to move to alternating bony and bone free days. That's what I did as I was working to the 12 ounce>8 ounce day thing with Max, he'd get a normal amount of bone one day but only a chicken foot or small fish the following day. A 1.5 ounce chicken foot is actually more calcium than my littles need daily.

No the phosphorus/calcium ratio is perfect if you feed 10% bone. Dressed chicken is about 30% bone so when feeding through a 5 pound bird you would add 8.5 pounds of meaty stuff and 1.5 pounds of organ. Some people forget to add in the boneless meat and the dog is getting far more calcium than needed. My little Ginger will get fossil poop if I do that but even if the dog doesn't it is still not a good thing to do. I use chicken as bony meat and prefer to feed as much red meat as possible, chicken is low in some minerals and vitamins compared to beef and lamb and that nice venison you have coming. Is the turkey game as well? Hope there are necks in there, turkey necks are very tasty.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thank you very very much! Yes, I'm getting every part of the turkey except for the breast meat. You really helped clarify some things. I only want what is best for him...Because believe me, kibble is a whole lot easier to feed but I see such a huge change in him on raw already. Thank you thank you thank you!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Raw feeding becomes so much easier the longer you do it. It's second nature to me now. You'll learn what works best for your dog, some dogs need a little more bone, some a little less. Every day doesn't need to be perfectly balanced. Aim for balance over time, weekly or monthly. What works for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I noticed there aren't a lot of people who feed rabbits to their dogs. Is there a reason for this? We raise meat rabbits so this would be the cheapest and most convienient option for us.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay so i may be new at this, but i can get my hands on 20kg or 44lb of chicken backs for $2.45/kg or $1.11/LB Canadian. If i purchase this i will need other meat such as beef and other deboned chicken or turkey and organs to balance it out correct? Let me know if im wrong.... Im still trying to figure out where to get stuff what to buy.... any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I noticed there aren't a lot of people who feed rabbits to their dogs. Is there a reason for this? We raise meat rabbits so this would be the cheapest and most convienient option for us.
Rabbit is extremely expensive if you must buy retail and not as vitamin/mineral rich a protein as lamb/beef/venison. If I had a source of cheap enough rabbit then I would use it whole prey if you are up to it, at least try to feed the heads and guts. Either feeding whole prey or feeding head and guts with boneless red meats would be a terrific diet for a raw fed dog.

Okay so i may be new at this, but i can get my hands on 20kg or 44lb of chicken backs for $2.45/kg or $1.11/LB Canadian. If i purchase this i will need other meat such as beef and other deboned chicken or turkey and organs to balance it out correct? Let me know if im wrong.... Im still trying to figure out where to get stuff what to buy.... any help would be greatly appreciated
That is extremely expensive for bone. You would need to treat this stuff as 50% bone and feed 20% of the diet as backs, 70% boneless and 10% organ AFTER your dog is used to the diet. You might start on defatted backs for a few days and as poop firms up leave the skin on a little at a time then add in a little meat to reduce the bone fed until you get to that point which could take a couple months. Tortoise wins the race!

Try pricing it out both ways to see if continuing to use backs is sensible dollar wise. Maybe whole birds or quarters are cheaper as with whole birds you can feed 50% chicken and 50% boneless plus organ.

That is extremely expensive for here in the states for what amounts to bone. Ho

·
Registered
297 Posts
My friend raises meat rabbits...I am actually going there on Sunday to pick up 10 plus rabbits.

661 - 680 of 693 Posts