Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

221 - 240 of 693 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
In a pinch buy the freeze dried liver at the pet store but chicken livers aren't good enough as an organ source by themselves anyway.

Max adores liver and always has so this hasn't been necessary here.

Cook it then cook less and less
Puree it and put a drop a day on his food, increase the "gravy" until you think it is fine and dandy then try chunks.
Serve frozen.
Open dog's mouth, shove down throat.

If you are feeding pastured, grass fed meat don't worry about fish at all. Use fish oil supplements if needed. Done. Max liked his rolled in a little peanut butter and now he doesn't get supplements every day he misses his peanut butter treat!

This week Max got
Pork bony chunk
Beef organ mix
Chicken feet
Turkey winglet
Ground beef
Beef round steak
Venison ribs
Ground sardine and rabbit head and gut mix
Green tripe

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Chicken leg quarters
Turkey/chicken neck
Trimmed beef or pork scraps from roasts or steaks

If someone could give some advice on HOW to get the pup to eat organ meats, I'd REALLY appreciate it. He turns his nose up at chicken livers, and I have no place to get anything-else liver around here. He's pretty picky about his raw food - he won't eat fish, either, but he does love a few raw pieces of side pork.
whenever i get liver from any source, i cut it into pieces appropriate to their size to give as a daily treat. kind of like vitamins, which liver is. then i freeze them....another person i know, bumblegoat, i believe, cuts liver into cubes and puts them into an ice cube tray, very clever....

i just total what my dog should eat for the week, let's say 70 ounces and figure that 5% should be liver, so that's 3.5 oz per week, then i divvy that into 7 days and i think it comes out to about a 1/2 oz a day. i combine that with either kidney or spleen as the other 5% and they get frozen tiny treats daily....

it took a little urging in the beginning, but now they think it's their g'd given right to have treats in the morning when they awaken. : )

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
this week, ending 2/28/11:

bison liver
lamb kidney
lamb necks
lamb lung
beef
venison heart
mackerel
chicken frame
chicken feet for fun
pork picnic roast

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
this week my dogs had:
venison heart
goat ribs
goat meat
lamb tongue
beef
pork
mackerel
lamb neck
bison liver
lamb kidney

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
does anyone feed their dog kelp meal?
and just to say woo hoo that we're getting more venison AND emu.....num. num.

this week my doggies had:

sardines
chicken frames
beef liver
lamb kidney
lamb necks - they can't eat the bone, but they sure do eat all the meat off...gives them a nice workout
pork ribs
pork picnic roast
grass fed beef
venison heart
egg - no shell
goat

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i was giving my dogs alfalfa and kelp as a supplement but was told i should stop because alfalfa is an allergen in many dogs. i don't know what it is specifically for but the person with the raw food company i used to buy from suggested it. (i really should have done more research, i guess :redface:)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
this week my dogs had:

mackerel
goat
beef
pork
chicken frame
chicken feet
lamb neck
goat ribs
egg with cumin and turmeric
lamb liver
lamb kidney
lamb heart.

we're getting a delivery of venison next week....and at the end of the month, we are getting emu --- woo hoo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just switched Starbuck over to raw a few days ago but I'm already giving him quite a bit of variety.

He's already had:

Chicken (quarters and neck)
Chicken heart
Duck heart
Pork snout
Chicken feet
Chicken liver
Pork shank and feet
Whole egg

I'm going to be giving him his first whole fish (large sardine) tomorrow or Tuesday. I also have some pork kidney, beef, pork neck bones, and various other goodies stashed away in the freezer for him.

Although I'm new to feeding dogs raw, I was a raw feeder for about 2 years with the cats and ferrets I used to own. I was originally going to wait a couple of weeks after adopting him to make the switch... but Starbuck is a 20 lb Min Pin so the wait seemed a bit silly to me... Plus he wouldn't touch his kibble after he got his first raw meal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
He's actually doing really well. He had some runny stools but that stopped when I started giving him acidophilus with every meal. I'm going to give him another 1-2 weeks before I start giving him any red meat though. Overall, he's very healthy except for his weight. And I have a feeling that won't be a long term issue since he's very active and loves racing through the house even right after his walks! His previous owners helped him lose some of the extra weight but I'm estimating that he still needs to lose around 7 pounds.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I just switched Starbuck over to raw a few days ago but I'm already giving him quite a bit of variety.

He's already had:

Chicken (quarters and neck)
Chicken heart
Duck heart
Pork snout
Chicken feet
Chicken liver
Pork shank and feet
Whole egg

I'm going to be giving him his first whole fish (large sardine) tomorrow or Tuesday. I also have some pork kidney, beef, pork neck bones, and various other goodies stashed away in the freezer for him.

Although I'm new to feeding dogs raw, I was a raw feeder for about 2 years with the cats and ferrets I used to own. I was originally going to wait a couple of weeks after adopting him to make the switch... but Starbuck is a 20 lb Min Pin so the wait seemed a bit silly to me... Plus he wouldn't touch his kibble after he got his first raw meal.

how are his bowels?

and welcome to raw....

He's actually doing really well. He had some runny stools but that stopped when I started giving him acidophilus with every meal. I'm going to give him another 1-2 weeks before I start giving him any red meat though. Overall, he's very healthy except for his weight. And I have a feeling that won't be a long term issue since he's very active and loves racing through the house even right after his walks! His previous owners helped him lose some of the extra weight but I'm estimating that he still needs to lose around 7 pounds.
he shouldn't need acidophilus, as it will change the pH in his stomach. have you considered slowing down the introduction of proteins to one by one per two weeks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmmm... That's definitely something to think about. I may just go down to chicken and duck for the next week then reintroduce pork. I would just do chicken... but I wasn't thinking much when I bagged up his meals and mixed the chicken and duck hearts together. Since I only give heart meat on days when he's getting very bony RMB's, I'm hoping that it won't effect him too much.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
week ending 4/10

goat
goat leg bone
tripe with trachea and beef gullet
lamb trachea
chicken frame
beef
pork
venison
venison heart
egg without white
sardine

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think that him refusing to eat anything will be an issue. So far, he's enthusiastically eaten everything I've given him. And if I do find that he's adverse to something... my sister feeds her ferrets raw so I'm sure she'll be more then happy to take anything I can't use.

I currently only have chicken and duck thawing out so I'll just have to reorganize my freezer so the pork, beef, and fish is at the back. Thankfully, I labeled everything clearly so that won't be an issue... I learned about labeling the hard way when I accidentally gave my ferrets too much heart meat in a week... Litter box cleanup was horrible for a day or so.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I don't think that him refusing to eat anything will be an issue. So far, he's enthusiastically eaten everything I've given him. And if I do find that he's adverse to something... my sister feeds her ferrets raw so I'm sure she'll be more then happy to take anything I can't use.

I currently only have chicken and duck thawing out so I'll just have to reorganize my freezer so the pork, beef, and fish is at the back. Thankfully, I labeled everything clearly so that won't be an issue... I learned about labeling the hard way when I accidentally gave my ferrets too much heart meat in a week... Litter box cleanup was horrible for a day or so.
i don't think so either..i just brought it up because it can be an issue that we don't think about. but i think you have it together..and then once he transitions completely, then you can mix and match.....

have fun and i know your dog will.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks! I know that he's already loving his raw. For the first day or so after I got him, he only ate when he was starving... Since the switch, he starts dancing when I pick up his food plate.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Lucky Starbuck! He sure landed in a good place.

Rabbit head, chicken liver and beef organ mix for organ
Rabbit head, pork neck and chicken neck and feet for bone
Sardines for more omega 3
Egg is just good for him
Loads of beef this week, trim/round/hamburger

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Thanks! I know that he's already loving his raw. For the first day or so after I got him, he only ate when he was starving... Since the switch, he starts dancing when I pick up his food plate.
how's your transition going?

have you thought about joining our co op? we are six hundred members strong and we buy food in bulk....it affords us a wide variety of protein from local farmers in washington and oregon....

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/WAzzuOR_BARF/ ( i hope the mods don't mind. this is not a forum. it's a food co op)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
here is what my kids have been eating these past few weeks...

emu oil
rabbit
venison
venison heart
lamb neck - whole
pork ribs
pork picnic roast
chicken drum strick
beef
beef liver
lamb kidney
goat