Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you take a few photos of your dogs meals? Also, the bones you give them? I have been reading a lot and see 'stripped bbq rib bones" and deer legs and what not, just curious to get a visual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Guess most of the pictures are gone or were removed. There used to be a ton of pics. Why not Google under images. I did using raw dog food pictures and got tons. you could even specify what your looking for.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I have a few. I typically don't feed bones by themselves, she gets bones in chicken split breasts, turkey wings and drumsticks and necks, and pork arm bones from arm roasts. Pork and beef ribs are good too if you want a good teeth cleaner meal. I also tend to feed some organ or an egg when I feed boney meals to keep her poop from getting too hard and powdery.

I used to feed 2 meals a day, but have gone to once a day. I have a 40lb dog and she eats about 1lb a day.

This was today actually, beef tongue and heart all frozen together

First raw meal ever, a turkey neck

Llama leg. After she ate the foot and stripped the tendons and flesh off, I took the bone away. The weight bearing bones of large animals like cows (and llamas) are very hard and known to cause cracks and breaking of teeth.

Big chunk of llama neck. It weighed about 2 lbs so it was all she got for a couple days, she wasn't hungry. Took her about an hour to eat it, bones and all.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If you like these are thumbnails you can click to make larger. Max is an 11 year old 38 pound dog with no health issues that competes in agility.
Ground meat, not sure what is under the lump, this was a while ago. Gone in 3.4 seconds.

A pork neck. Max eats about half of it leaving bare bone. I don't want him to eat that massive bone. This is a video, not sure you can click on it.

Turkey drumstick.

During the meal.

Leftovers.

A normal meal might be a bony bit, say a chicken wing or foot plus a bit of organ meat and boneless meat to fill it out. Then the next day all he gets is boneless meat. While bone is super fun to feed and eat too much isn't good nutrition.

Here are some 'recipes' for you.
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/Recipes

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
My husband was having two procedures done today so while he was there, I went to my favorite pet store. I had a coupon for any Primal product so I got some chicken necks. I know, I'm sure they're cheaper if you get them at the grocery store but these cost me 69 cents, so I'm not arguing. What do I do, just give them to the dogs? Do I need to watch for anything? Call me a dork but I'm a little nervous

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My husband was having two procedures done today so while he was there, I went to my favorite pet store. I had a coupon for any Primal product so I got some chicken necks. I know, I'm sure they're cheaper if you get them at the grocery store but these cost me 69 cents, so I'm not arguing. What do I do, just give them to the dogs? Do I need to watch for anything? Call me a dork but I'm a little nervous
personally, i would not give a dog chicken necks, especially if you have larger dogs....my dogs did not get chicken necks....they are small and i'd be afraid of them gulping them down without crunching.

under supervision, you can give them. just make sure you stay in the room.

plus, this is edible bone. is that what you had wanted? for your dogs to eat the bone? if you did, make sure you count it as part of their caloric intake.....plus you're giving them calcium, which, if you're feeding kibble, already has more than enough calcium in it.

my recommendation for kibble fed dogs are bones that can't be ingested, and the best ones i've found are beef bbq ribs...with most of the meat stripped off so as not to give the runs...but to give their teeth a good workout.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I have a 28lb sheltie (elderly), a 35lb pbgv and a 30ish year old Brittany. I know it's edible bone. I figured it was cheap, a way to try raw.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have a 28lb sheltie (elderly), a 35lb pbgv and a 30ish year old Brittany. I know it's edible bone. I figured it was cheap, a way to try raw.
i understand and i applaud you that you want to put your foot in the water....i'm not fond of chicken necks for dogs that are larger than chis and yorkies...ya know?

if you have a gulper, they will try to swallow it whole....

but.....in for a penny, in for a pound. as long as they don't try to swallow it whole, go for it. just stay in the room.

and even if they do swallow it whole, the worst that can happen usually is a bit of the runs, although you're feeding bony so probably not.

let me know how it goes.....i'm excited for you.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
i understand and i applaud you that you want to put your foot in the water....i'm not fond of chicken necks for dogs that are larger than chis and yorkies...ya know?

if you have a gulper, they will try to swallow it whole....

but.....in for a penny, in for a pound. as long as they don't try to swallow it whole, go for it. just stay in the room.

and even if they do swallow it whole, the worst that can happen usually is a bit of the runs, although you're feeding bony so probably not.

let me know how it goes.....i'm excited for you.
you're excited and I'm scared LOL. Won't happen til tomorrow

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
you're excited and I'm scared LOL. Won't happen til tomorrow
when i was in your shoes, i was scared.

try not to be scared so that it shows. they can feel it.

it'll be fine....and if all goes as it should, which it should....maybe you'll try it again.

just keep in mind that as you feed kibble, they are getting calcium...so this counts....

many feed kibble for one meal and raw for another and say their dogs do fine.....because they want to make sure their dogs are getting all the supplementation they need...

but you have to count the calories of the chicken neck and realise that you're feeding calcium....so it would be good if you decided if this were a crunching thing for them to do or you're slowly making the slide into raw or you just want them to have a good chewing experience, in which case necks won't do it...

turkey necks will :)

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
when i was in your shoes, i was scared.

try not to be scared so that it shows. they can feel it.

it'll be fine....and if all goes as it should, which it should....maybe you'll try it again.

just keep in mind that as you feed kibble, they are getting calcium...so this counts....

many feed kibble for one meal and raw for another and say their dogs do fine.....because they want to make sure their dogs are getting all the supplementation they need...

but you have to count the calories of the chicken neck and realise that you're feeding calcium....so it would be good if you decided if this were a crunching thing for them to do or you're slowly making the slide into raw or you just want them to have a good chewing experience, in which case necks won't do it...

turkey necks will :)
I just wanted to buy something raw and use my coupon LOL, this was the only Primal item they sell (they sell Bravo & Nature's Variety raw). So, should I just toss the chicken out? I didn't know there'd be a problem, I just figured they'd enjoy some chicken & chew the bones or whatever

1 - 20 of 36 Posts