Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with my pups allergies for way too long! He would have a reaction to every dog food we tried, and we tried a ton. So I decided to get his intolerances tested. Basically it came back that he is having a reaction to the additives in dog food, not a specific protein or grain.
Please someone help me to figure out if I'm doing this right.
He's 66lbs pit mix but could lose some weight, he has been on a salmon dog food and gained a bit of weight.
How does this look per day?
12.8 oz chicken breast
2 oz chicken thigh w/bone
.8 oz beef liver
.8 oz pork kidney
Quail egg
Sardines
Yogurt
Turmeric
Coconut oil
Spinach

Any help is GREARLY APPRECIATED!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Looks really good! I see muscle, organ, fat, and bone... some nice veggies and egg! (I would switch out veggies weekly though c:, As well as maybe not yogurt every day, too much dairy can upset tummies.

I love seeing people feed raw, If you can afford it and have time, its the best thing you can do for your dog.

How much does this end up costing you weekly? I'm trying to find ways to cut some costs c: My dogs are both 50+ pounds, both cats are 10+... costs bit more than just buying kibble for everybody

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not done the cost per mo or day math yet lol but I was able to get the chicken breast at .97 lb and the whole chicken thighs at .77 lb.
What do the meals look like that you feed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
I feed raw because of allergies too (and had my dog tested too). Without amounts and a spreadsheet, a real nutrient analysis is impossible, although I know a lot of people are happy with the 80-10-10 formula. From what you've listed, I agree that I'd change out your veggie regularly (and I assume you know the veggies need to be broken down by pureeing or cooking a bit.) And while coconut was touted as the best oil for a while, I think the raw food community is increasingly questioning its value. Depending on the quantity of sardines you feed, they would provide the needed EFA oils.

While IMO Dogs Naturally can be both a source of good info and of over-the-top raw zealotry, here's their recent article on coconut oil: Coconut Oil For Dogs: New Research Says Stay Away

·
Registered
508 Posts
I switch it up per day, My dogs eat alot of rabbit since its super cheap c:

It looks rather similar to yours, I also like (especially during the summer) freezing my coconut oil and yogurt and my dogs go CRAZY

they also are obsessed with chicken feet- counts as a bone- super cheap too c:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Your mix looks good!

I feed a mix from "Raw Energy" and am in a dog food Co-op.

Some days I add some of these to the Raw Energy premix medley:
sardines, whole milk yogurt, Egg (shell and all), carrots, spinach. Feed this at night.

In the morning I feed chicken thighs OR a chicken leg quarter OR a split chicken breast (whole with bone and skin).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts