Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm pretty confused. Do dogs eat the bone or not? A friend of mine got a few deer rib bones for me and they're freezing for a couple of days before I give them to my dog. I askled for ribs because of the knuckle/femur bone thing, if I shouldn't give rib bones what kind of bones should I get? I've heard that chewing on the bones is good for their teeth and helps with doggy breath and that's my main motivation for giving him the bones.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I gave Molly a 3/4 lb slab of deer ribs tonight and she consumed it all except for a few bone fragments. She takes her time eating and seems to enjoy it. I don't worry about germs/bacteria on her food. She sometimes buries her food for a couple of days. Soap and water and basic common sense is all that's required.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm kind of confused, too. Some people are saying to take the bones away when they break, while other people say to let the dog eat it everything, bone fragments and all.

- If you give a dog a large meaty bone, like from a leg, how much do you let her/him eat? When do you take it away?

- If you give a dog smaller bones, like rib bones or smaller, how much do you let her/him eat? When do you take it away (if you do at all)?

I've never fed bones before, but I definitely want to in the future. This is something I've learned about on dogforums. :)

One more question:
Are bones like merrick's Sarge cooked or not? It says smoked, but can't smoking just be external flavoring done without high temperatures?

·
Banned
302 Posts
I'm kind of confused, too. Some people are saying to take the bones away when they break, while other people say to let the dog eat it everything, bone fragments and all.

- If you give a dog a large meaty bone, like from a leg, how much do you let her/him eat? When do you take it away?

- If you give a dog smaller bones, like rib bones or smaller, how much do you let her/him eat? When do you take it away (if you do at all)?

I've never fed bones before, but I definitely want to in the future. This is something I've learned about on dogforums. :)

One more question:
Are bones like merrick's Sarge cooked or not? It says smoked, but can't smoking just be external flavoring done without high temperatures?
Smoked is tricky - I can't answer that one - But I wouldn't.

A dog can eat ANY raw bones - even chicken. (But some people avoid them) Bones are an important part of a complete meal if you feed a raw diet. (or you use supplements)

When's the last time you heard of a fox, coyote, or wolf NOT eat the entire catch? (except for the skull maybe).

·
Registered
966 Posts
So are you saying that the answers to these questions --

-- are to allow them to eat the entire bone in both cases and not take it away if it chips and fragments?

·
Banned
302 Posts
So are you saying that the answers to these questions are to allow them to eat the entire bone in both cases and not take it away if it chips and fragments?
I'm saying don't worry about it and let them eat. Dogs have a great ability to "cough up" anything that doesn't belong :) Might sound dangerous but it isn't.

Go inspect a few different raw bones - you will see they are fairly soft and don't splint. Even chicken bones when raw are harmless.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Go inspect a few different raw bones - you will see they are fairly soft and don't splint. Even chicken bones when raw are harmless.
This is good information.

I'm a vegetarian and I have been since I was 11, so I have very limited experience with meat and bones. Now that I think about it, this definitely explains part of my confusion. I had no idea that bones were soft when raw. I guess I was imagining them being rock hard and breaking into sharp hard fragments.

·
Banned
302 Posts
This is good information.

I had no idea that bones were soft when raw. I guess I was imagining them being rock hard and breaking into sharp hard fragments.
Yes, a lot of folks only think of those hard (dangerous) cooked bones when talking about feeding them to dogs. Never feed cooked bones.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Cooked bones are the problem, most raw bones are perfectly safe to give. The ones to watch are weight baring bones of large animals. Beef knuckle bones, leg bones are very dense and can break a dogs teeth.

That said...

like with most things, supervision is key. The knuckle bone I allowed Buster to chew for about an hour, he was done after that. The big leg bone, I give him 20-30 minutes every so often and toss the thing back into a plastic bag and into the freezer.

RAW chicken bones are safe to feed. When raw, the bone is soft and "rubbery" so doesnt splinter. Im currently toying with the idea of switching Buster to raw.

His first encounter with a raw hind quarter was about a week ago. When first offered, he licked it. The moment I set it between his front paws he jumped up and backwards. Stared the chicken leg down and BARKED (I have a VERY quiet Saint Bernard, he barks only in play). So I used the same command I use outside when he wants to chase the wild rabbits "Get it". He charged in towards the chicken and pounced with both front paws. I guess he was convinced it was dead at that point because he settled down to have his breakfast.

This morning he knew as soon as I brought out his towel (I dont like raw meat on my floor, he wont eat from a bowl...at least the towel can be thrown in the washer) that he was getting something yummy. He went right to work on his chicken, finished with no problems and I have one very happy puppy.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
About those bones cut crosswise into circles...if you only knew how many times each week our vet's office has to cut those off a dog's muzzle...my daughter works there and has gotten good at handling the phone calls from upset owners. The dogs often have to be sedated or anesthetized to remove the bone from the muzzle...with a power saw. So I would be very careful with those or have the butcher cut the leg bone lengthwise so your dog can still access the marrow...safely.

I would never give a bone that has been cooked in any way to a dog...smoked, boiled, roasted, or heat processed.QUOTE]

The bones I get have a center MUCH too small for her to get her nose stuck in...thank goodness...I know if she could do something like that she would! If she were a small dog, that would certainly be a concern! But they are big enough that she won't try to swallow the whole thing. Must evaluate size of dog's mouth to size of bone carefully!

NEVER any type of "heat treated" bone. Just the yummy stock that comes it! Got her some carrots and celery so I can make her some soup out of the bones I won't give her. Jeesh, I wish I cooked that way for ME! :eek:
(I also wish I had the time to read this forum more often so I'm not a week behind on the converstion!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Raw bones (although, I don't eat them myself) sure seem to be a hit at my place.
They love em, frozen thawed. They just love em.

I have exceptionally large dogs, I make sure they have a strong sturdy bone. I will allow them to have it as long as they want it.
If anyone gets defensive or protective about his bone, there is trouble to pay. If I walk up to one of them and ask them to show me that bone and they don't, they loose it. So they generally put it in my hand YUK YUK Gross. And I give it right back.

But my guys also think that ice cubes are cookies.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts