Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we're finally switching from commercial dental treats to raw bones. We went to the Asian market yesterday, and walked out with some duck feet, "economy pork bones" and "chicken bones" (cleaned carcass - will also use some for dinner tomorrow). The pork bones are mostly vertebrae/ribs, and Snowball's only going to get the top half of the chicken carcass, with the bigger bones - I cut off all the ribs.

While we were going through the economy meat cooler, I noticed they had chicken feet, (in addition to duck feet) but they looked and felt harder/scalier with longer claws. So I was wondering if there is any real difference between duck and chicken feet? I'm assuming they're both safe for dogs? In the store, they looked about the same size.

Also, are there any other economical odd bits that you'd recommend for a dog's dental health? Or things to stay away from?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From where do you source them? We've asked butchers in the area, but so far they've all stated they don't separate the necks from the whole chickens, unless specifically asked by the customer.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I get them from a local meat packer in bulk. Sometimes necks are included with giblets sold separately from whole chickens at the grocery store, or you could try an Asian supermarket if you have one in your area.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yeah I give all the ones you mentioned to my dog and he's never had problems :)

I like duck necks and chicken necks too, but I think chicken necks would be too small for your dog.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I give all the ones you mentioned to my dog and he's never had problems :)

I like duck necks and chicken necks too, but I think chicken necks would be too small for your dog.
Good point - I'll check the size of them the next time I come across them. He's very good with chewing though - raw meat is the only thing he will actually CHEW on, and I've never seen him try to gulp anything (he seems to do fine with individual pork ribs 3-4" long). Duck necks would probably be perfect... if I can find them. People here don't eat nearly enough duck, and as a result it is EXPENSIVE, and hard to find, outside of specialty butchers/stores. You just gave me an idea though: I'll see if I can strike up a deal with the Hutterites.... they're one of the main suppliers of duck and goose in the area, and they also raise chickens!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Our regular Save-On Supermarket sells packages of turkey necks all the time. They are pretty cheap but I have never tried them. They have a lot of meat on them so would almost be a full meal for the little dogs but I still worry they would choke on them.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Our regular Save-On Supermarket sells packages of turkey necks all the time. They are pretty cheap but I have never tried them. They have a lot of meat on them so would almost be a full meal for the little dogs but I still worry they would choke on them.
Necks, even the big turkey necks, are really easy for the dogs to crunch up and chew in my experience. They look intimidating but they are mostly meat and cartilage. I think some chicken necks would be fine, even for your littles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I buy cases of Duck necks from K9 Kravings. They come 12 packages in a case and there are 8 duck necks in each zip locked package. I don't feed them to my dog as whole necks but cut up 4 necks per day with a meat Clever into 1 1/2" long pieces and add it to his regular food. He just crunches them up when eating his food. The other item he gets is Elk Antler. He can devoir a 12" long 2" round antler in about a month and I can attest he has the whitest teeth and his vet always comments on his dental health how white and tarter free his teeth are.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Good point - I'll check the size of them the next time I come across them. He's very good with chewing though - raw meat is the only thing he will actually CHEW on, and I've never seen him try to gulp anything (he seems to do fine with individual pork ribs 3-4" long). Duck necks would probably be perfect... if I can find them. People here don't eat nearly enough duck, and as a result it is EXPENSIVE, and hard to find, outside of specialty butchers/stores. You just gave me an idea though: I'll see if I can strike up a deal with the Hutterites.... they're one of the main suppliers of duck and goose in the area, and they also raise chickens!
I bet you could strike up a pretty sweet deal with them :D I get mine from a chain Asian grocery store ($2 for like 6-8 necks so cheap!!). Really wish I could get in contact with some local venison/bison farmers thoughhh :( Chicken is actually more expensive here than duck @[email protected]

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bet you could strike up a pretty sweet deal with them :D I get mine from a chain Asian grocery store ($2 for like 6-8 necks so cheap!!). Really wish I could get in contact with some local venison/bison farmers thoughhh :( Chicken is actually more expensive here than duck @[email protected]
I'll trade you... I'd much rather have duck than the stupidly expensive chicken we have. Regular non-organic BSCB is $10+/kg on sale... who the heck can afford that? I have to admit, I didn't check the Asian grocer for necks when we were there last week, I was too distracted by the "economy meats" cooler to look in the butcher's case. Might have to check Save-on too - didn't think of there, since we rarely go.

Is there any reason to NOT feet chicken feet? I'm a bit worried about the long nails on them.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'll trade you... I'd much rather have duck than the stupidly expensive chicken we have. Regular non-organic BSCB is $10+/kg on sale... who the heck can afford that? I have to admit, I didn't check the Asian grocer for necks when we were there last week, I was too distracted by the "economy meats" cooler to look in the butcher's case. Might have to check Save-on too - didn't think of there, since we rarely go.

Is there any reason to NOT feet chicken feet? I'm a bit worried about the long nails on them.
Absolutely none! I asked on here several months ago (I bought some, but I was intimidated by the nails as well lol), and everyone told me it was fine. I tried breaking the nail myself and it did break easily, so I stopped worrying and gave it to Meeko. He's had 6 chicken feet so far, and no problems as of yet :)

Asian grocery stores are the best for cheap meats I find ^_^

1 - 15 of 15 Posts