Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading this info about RAW feeding. I'm interested but have this question.

I do a lot of camping and hiking. We take the dogs everywhere. Any vacation is planned around where the dogs can go.
If we go camping with the trailer and do day hikes keeping meat in the fridge or freezer is not a problem. If we travel a long distance or do over night hikes how does one keep meat fresh?
Kibble is easy to pack around and from what I've read one does not want to mix feeding if you do 100% raw. What is the trick?

·
Registered
166 Posts
When we go camping we pack zip-lock bags of frozen meal portions in the cooler. The more there is, the longer it all stays frozen. By the end of a 4-5 day camping trip, the last meals are just de-frosted and have another 2-3 days before going off. A deco-sonic sealer would be a good idea too, with no air in the package, they may last even longer.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When we go camping we pack zip-lock bags of frozen meal portions in the cooler. The more there is, the longer it all stays frozen. By the end of a 4-5 day camping trip, the last meals are just de-frosted and have another 2-3 days before going off. A deco-sonic sealer would be a good idea too, with no air in the package, they may last even longer.
Yeah I can handle that type of trip. I have a toy hauler with a fridge and freezer. The problem is you cant lug around an ice chest on an over night or weekend hike trip.
The walking trips where you have no way to keep things cold is what I'm concerned about. When I do these trips I eat dry foods, MRE type meals, and fruits. The dogs eat kibble.

Never mind just found the dehydrated stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts