Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my ratties. I've had Dwight for around 10 months and he's such a love. He's pretty mellow and loves cuddling and sleeping.

Truman has been with me for about a week and a half and sadly might have to go back to his previous owner (a friend who has 12ish rats). He was totally sweet when we went to meet him, but now he freaks out when you touch him...he bit me pretty hard on the finger too. I've been trying to get him used to me, but he's not interested. He and Dwight got along well in the bathtub when I first introduced them, but then he went for Dwight too. He's totally adorable though!! And he'll be kept by my friend so I'm not too worried.

Pics...

Dwight

Truman

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful rats! I would totally take Truman if I were closer.
I currently have 11 rats and take in rats that need homes.
Man, wish you were closer. I mean my friend is going to take him back and he'll have a good home, but he just doesn't fit in here.

It's weird because he and Dwight got along fine at first. I introduced them literally by the book (put cages next to each other, dabbed them with vanilla to decrease scent, waited 3-4 days before I put them together in neutral territory). I had them in the bathtub together and they literally curled up and slept together/groomed each other. The second day I put them in the tub together Truman attacked Dwight pretty viciously and Dwight hid in the corner terrified (even though he's considerably bigger!)

I went back to the first step in the process and progressed through the steps again. He attacked Dwight again yesterday. He wouldn't come out of his house for the rest of the day. He really seems disinterested in having a pal! But my friend is having a litter due soon so once they are weaned I'm going to take a baby so I can hand raise it and give Dwight a better chance of not being attacked again.

And Truman still won't let me touch him...I've tried so hard to be patient and slow, but he's quite aggressive...I think it's his age actually. My friend might get him neutered.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Awwww....neutering very well may help him!
Neutering decreases aggressive behaviour.I never had a rat aggressive towards me,but I do have ONE lone rat now.My big boy,Kahlua.He used to have a cagemate,but once his cagemate died...he would not accept any other rat.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awwww....neutering very well may help him!
Neutering decreases aggressive behaviour.I never had a rat aggressive towards me,but I do have ONE lone rat now.My big boy,Kahlua.He used to have a cagemate,but once his cagemate died...he would not accept any other rat.
I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight ended up this way. He seems perfectly happy to be by himself. We're going to try with a baby (not introduce them until the baby is big enough of course) and see how it goes. Otherwise they'll live separately and I'll get a friend for the baby and have Dwight alone. I got him from Petsmart (before I heard that was not the best place to go for rats) and he may be older than they told me. He seems like an older guy to me anyway...but has never even tried to bite. He's such a love!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Adorable rats :D

I've never met a rat that bites. A few years ago I had to have my 5 year old russian blue dumbo peanut put to sleep, and she only tried to bite me once because she was in so much pain :(

Do you think he bites because he wasn't handled a lot? Or could it be bad genetics?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts