1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 yr old rat terrier. Started on comfortis after
Flea problem in November.Kona had been scratching a lot bc of fleas. After
Comfortis began working, he continued to
Scratch. I then noticed he was scratching mostly around eyes and belly. Belly got raw and red, I cleared it up with cortisone.
Eyes continued to itch. Hairless around both eyes. His skin is all red everywhere.
Went to the vet, she done a skin scrape and tested for heart worms.put him on ivermectin and antibiotics, and a cream antibiotic for his eyes. She said she thinks it's the mange, the kind that starts with a D and isn't contagious( forgot name) however, skin scrape showed none. No ear mites either.
It's been 2 weeks, he still miserable and scratching. I called vet Friday to
Ask if I could give him benadryl for itch bc she gave him nothing for relief of itching.
So now he's also on benedryl which helps 'some' but he's still scratching eyes and gritting his teeth. Ive used this vet clinic for over 15 yrs. but I think they are wrong on this diagnosis. I haven't changed food or detergent, I use only adams shampoo. I stopped comfortis after last dose Dec.. 19.
Does anyone have suggestions for my poor little kona that's in so much discomfort? I can barely stand to watch him scratch, drag his chin and eyes on the rug to scratch... (bottom jaw is also red and itching under muzzle)
Any suggestions will be helpfully. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Poor little Kona!

The vet was checking for Demodectic mange. The other kind is Sarcoptic.

Obviously, I can't diagnose your dog over the internet, but has anyone considered food allergies? They can pop up at any time, right out of the blue, and the only real treatment is changing foods. I would suggest going grain free to start, and then trying different proteins if that doesn't work. For example, Wellness Core is grain free. The grains might be causing the problem. If they aren't, Wellness Core has chicken in it, and you may need to try a grain free food based on lamb, or fish, or deer. (Don't get sucked into buying Hill's Science Diet or any of that crap. It's not necessary, it's expensive, and it's not as good as other foods in the same price range.)

You can check out dogfoodadviser.com for more information on commercial dog food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poor little Kona!

The vet was checking for Demodectic mange. The other kind is Sarcoptic.

Obviously, I can't diagnose your dog over the internet, but has anyone considered food allergies? They can pop up at any time, right out of the blue, and the only real treatment is changing foods. I would suggest going grain free to start, and then trying different proteins if that doesn't work. For example, Wellness Core is grain free. The grains might be causing the problem. If they aren't, Wellness Core has chicken in it, and you may need to try a grain free food based on lamb, or fish, or deer. (Don't get sucked into buying Hill's Science Diet or any of that crap. It's not necessary, it's expensive, and it's not as good as other foods in the same price range.)

You can check out dogfoodadviser.com for more information on commercial dog food.
Thank you so much! A friend and dog advocate made the same suggestion to me. We are getting him grain free lamb & rice today!
Any advice about how long before I see an improvement if it is a food allergy, and if this new food works? A few weeks maybe? Thank you again!!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thank you so much! A friend and dog advocate made the same suggestion to me. We are getting him grain free lamb & rice today!
Any advice about how long before I see an improvement if it is a food allergy, and if this new food works? A few weeks maybe? Thank you again!!
It will depend on the dog. Could be days could be weeks.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Try a grain free alternative protein food, like Taste of the Wild High prairie or Pacific salmon. Some dogs are allergic to lamb because it has become a more common meat. Also, lesser quality foods can contain dyes/additives that may cause allergies. Look on www.dogfoodanalysis.com and get a 5 star or better food that's grain free with alternative protein sources (no beef, chicken or lamb).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts