Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rat-Cha (Chihuahua/Rat Terrier) Anyone?

I'm going to be adopting one of the two puppies below tomorrow. They are a Chihuahua/Rat Terrier mix. I've done my research on both breeds, but I'm just curious to know if anyone else has ever had any experience with a 'Rat-Cha'. The brown one is a female, the white is a male.

I've yet to meet either of them in person so I haven't decided which I want to adopt.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Re: Rat-Cha (Chihuahua/Rat Terrier) Anyone?

Seeing as how there is no way to predict what traits a first generation crossbreed will or will not inherit from it's parents, it's really impossible to say. It's a crapshoot, really. One could act more like a Chi, while the other acts more like a terrier.

That's the thing with mutts, there are no 'set in stone' characteristics. Many 'designer' mixes that have the same breed parentage do not even look alike once they grow up, let alone act alike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's not a rule set in stone, but generally the breed the dog looks more like is the breed they inherit more characteristic traits from.

They are both super cute.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Awww he's got a patch over his eye!!!
Sorry I don't have any experience with either of those breeds, I just thought I'd comment about how adorable they are.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Where are you getting them from? looks like a house, so would be a ..."breeder" (gah I hope this isnt the case) so i wouldnt call this adopting. sorrry but I hate when people say adopt when buying a dog.

Second. go and see what personality you like better.

The male could be all chi while the female all rat terrier. its a crap shot with mixed breeds.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just from my own experience with a rat terrier. YMMV.

If the rat terrier lineage is dominant expect a high prey drive. Independent and intelligent, a little on the stubborn side if you ask it to perform the same thing over and over again during training. :D

Indoors it will focus on you if you want, but also be content to sleep or entertain itself while you're busy. But outside the focus is just on hunting; squirrels, rabbits, mice, voles, anything small and furry. Outdoors I cease to exist. For example, indoors my dog will play fetch until she tires of it (5-6 fetches) but outdoors she doesn't even realize I've thrown something (even if it's her favorite indoor fetch toy).

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Awww... I like the white one. But, that's solely on looks. My mom rescued a chihuahua puppy and it's dumber than my dog. But cute as a button. My dog and my mom's grew up together so they like each other. My mom didn't socialize him well, so he doesn't like anyone or anything beside my family and my mom and dad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have a rat terrier / chihuahua who looks more like a Rat than a Chi. He's a bit taller and heavier than the chihuahuas. He is very active and loves to run, play (destroy) with toys. He's very sweet and docile too but hate having his nails clipped. I think they are just as great as the full bred chihuahuas.

Good luck!

·
Registered
962 Posts
just like to comment, the male looks more like a female, if I had to guess looking at the face. Going for the smaller of the two, from the pics the male might be the smaller? On the other hand the female looks anxious leave.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My Donatello looks like a Chihuahua/Min Pin mix... In my opinion he acts nothing like either one!

I would wait a few more weeks if at all possible, because maybe by then you'll be able to see what their personality might be like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you getting them from? looks like a house, so would be a ..."breeder" (gah I hope this isnt the case) so i wouldnt call this adopting. sorrry but I hate when people say adopt when buying a dog.

Second. go and see what personality you like better.

The male could be all chi while the female all rat terrier. its a crap shot with mixed breeds.
I'm not paying for either dog.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I like to ask this question to the recuse people. Why should the OP wait until these pups are dumped off at the shelter, and pay the shelter, when she can get these pup from the BYB before they go to some one else that may severely abuse these pups then to the shelter. At least the OP will be the first person to get the pup, and hopefully give one of these pups a loving home from day one???? No temeramental problems from a bad first owner to deal with! Anyone is still rescuing the pup the way I see it, if the pup gets a good home, and dies of old age and never ends up at the rescue center.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like to ask this question to the recuse people. Why should the OP wait until these pups are dumped off at the shelter, and pay the shelter, when she can get these pup from the BYB before they go to some one else that may severely abuse these pups then to the shelter. At least the OP will be the first person to get the pup, and hopefully give one of these pups a loving home from day one???? No temeramental problems from a bad first owner to deal with! Anyone is still rescuing the pup the way I see it, if the pup gets a good home, and dies of old age and never ends up at the rescue center.
Because putting the money into the pocket of a BYB just encourages them to keep breeding.

I'd be more OK with taking a dog from an oops litter, provided the owner agreed to speuter the pet.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Why is this a big deal? The OP says they aren't paying for the dog, so no money going into any BYBs pockets.
You really don't know the situation here, whether someone found these pups and is trying to adopt them out or it is an oops litter. People shouldn't make harsh judgments like this before they know the situation.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why is this a big deal? The OP says they aren't paying for the dog, so no money going into any BYBs pockets.
You really don't know the situation here, whether someone found these pups and is trying to adopt them out or it is an oops litter. People shouldn't make harsh judgments like this before they know the situation.
I'm not making a judgment. :confused: I was responding to Bob's question.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks George for your reply, I understand where your coming from!:)

Because my military career, I could not own dogs until I retired. So I got my first dog and he lived to old age, and now I have two dogs one age seven and nine, and all dogs were aquired from BYB, I have been on this forum for maybe two years, so I did not know what BYB even ment. And I hate to say this , I feel the majority do not Know "BYB" or think of "rescue" route to go when the time comes to get a puppy.

But I keep thinking what would have happened to my to beloved present dogs if I did not get them. Would they have had the happy home they have now? Would they have been run over by a car because the owner was careless for a second. Would they have ended up in a shelter only experience euthanasia, that would be better then a cruel owner.

So my point is, I cannot see coming down on people that decide to buy a dog from a BYB, because it is not going to stop in your life time, I'm sorry to say! And these poor dogs have to go some where! Right??? And even "rescue people" around here, that are so proud to tell you how they got there dog, let there dogs run lose in the to go where ever to do their thing. Every time I am walking my two dogs I have to encounter these other two dogs and they are not very friendly!:mad:

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Thanks George for your reply, I understand where your coming from!:)

Because my military career, I could not own dogs until I retired. So I got my first dog and he lived to old age, and now I have two dogs one age seven and nine, and all dogs were aquired from BYB, I have been on this forum for maybe two years, so I did not know what BYB even ment. And I hate to say this , I feel the majority do not Know "BYB" or think of "rescue" route to go when the time comes to get a puppy.

But I keep thinking what would have happened to my to beloved present dogs if I did not get them. Would they have had the happy home they have now? Would they have been run over by a car because the owner was careless for a second. Would they have ended up in a shelter only experience euthanasia, that would be better then a cruel owner.

So my point is, I cannot see coming down on people that decide to buy a dog from a BYB, because it is not going to stop in your life time, I'm sorry to say! And these poor dogs have to go some where! Right??? And even "rescue people" around here, that are so proud to tell you how they got there dog, let there dogs run lose in the to go where ever to do their thing. Every time I am walking my two dogs I have to encounter these other two dogs and they are not very friendly!:mad:
hmmmmm....I don't think I would come down on someone who bought a dog from a byb...but if they were still looking for a puppy I would recommend rescue first...because the dog that is in the shelter has a much higher risk of being PTS because its all ready there!

and yes byb and puppy mills might not be stopped in one life time ...just like the huge waste and pollution problem we face.....but that doesn't me we each as individuals shouldn't do our part and recycle when possible to help our future :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The woman who currently has possession of the puppies is not a breeder. Someone abandoned these dogs and she took them in and is now looking for new homes for them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts