Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... My name is Jessye I have a 5 year old female American bulldog mix who has been iching and scratching more and more. I took her in on the 1st to the vet for her shots, fecal and heartworm test ( all were neg, no worms) . The same day, before she saw the vet I had found the rashes. I showed the vet. She said its probably fleas or grass pollen, she does pull her self through the grass. So we started Tri-fexis and they also prescribed predisone. Her rash and itchness seemed to get much better. I'm out of predisone now and its all coming back. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions or idea what beside fleas could be causing the rash and itching. I also changed her food from purina to pedigree. Is it possible she is developing a grain allergy 5 years.
Thank you in advance
Jessye

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Pedigree is very very bad food, like so bad you're likely to get crucified for saying you feed it to your dog online lol. So yes it can certainly be a cause. Purina isn't much better. Obviously being a college student myself, I understand there can be certain financial limitations but pedigree is just very bad. Even if it's not a grain allergy, the corn can certainly do it. Also you have really no clue what in stuff like "meat and bone meal" or "animal fat"

I would say check out the food section to learn about dog foods a bit more. I saw someone post this and it's a good video to get a general idea of dog food ingredients and what to avoid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdDPi-1Yjy0&feature=relmfu

also look into sites like dogfoodadvisor.com

If you're on a budget, Kirkland signature, the costco brand make fairly cost efficient decent food. If you don't have access to costco, chicken soup for the dog lover's soul, I believe is a decent quality food for the price. Taste of the Wild is a fairly good priced good dry food that you can get as well which is what i feed currently.. If money isn't an issue, then you can certainly put your dog on a even better diet.

Benedril can also help with grass pollen allergies but you'd need to talk to your vet about it. I don't remember the dosage.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Luvmahpups, My setter gets the same type of rash this time of year. I'm trying Benadryl now, but have gone the anti-biotics/prednisone route before with decent results. The dosage for Benadryl is 1 mg per lb, max is 2 mg per lb. You might want to mention it to your vet in case there is an issue with Benadryl and your dog's meds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replys.
Zhaor, I have read alittle on the food section. I'm thinking I'm going to deff stop Pedigree and try 4health. I've used TOTW before for a Rednose we had we had good results with it just the recall bothered my ol' man lol.

3doglady, My Casey is 82 pounds so I give her 3 Benadryl, poor thing just sits and itches her self in a circle thumping away, or pulls her self across the carpet. I'm going to go back to the vet today to pick up the refill on the prednisone today and ask what other than Benadryl can I use because I just don't think its helping her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts